Home Help Search Members Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: The Fort90 List Of Games He's Looking Forward To The Most (And So Should You)  (Read 64581 times)
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« on: July 29, 2009, 02:35:19 AM »

I've always tried to use my blog as a means to alert folks as to some of the awesome shit that's coming down the pipeline. but due to the massively disorganized way that I do things, 99% of said mentions get lost in the shuffle. Not helping is how they're also usually buried deep in my 18,000 word long gaming news and nonsense round-ups, as evidenced when Joe asked me about the Art Style games for the DSi last week during dinner, which I've talked about quite a bit already on my site.

So I figured, why not just make a list of stuff, which I can add and append whenever? Some stuff comes out relatively soon, some a bit later down the road, and a few has already come out! Take a look...

1. Cave Story & La Mulana (WiiWare)
Not exactly the most original choices to start off with, especially since they already have threads, but since I am doing a most wanted list, they sorta have to be included. Feels like almost forever since word first came out of the Wii port of Cave Story. Truth be told, I've never touched the PC version of La Mulana (hey Dave, was a PSP port ever made?) and my anticipation of the Wii edition will directly rest upon how well Cave Story ends up being.

2. Pole's Big Adventure (WiiWare)
Everyone knows about Sega's retro platformer, right? If not, everyone can brush up here: http://www.siliconera.com/2009/02/03/poles-big-adventure-segas-gag-game/ It's actually one of the more inventive meta-retro titles to come, and by far the most interesting thing Sega has developed in seemingly ages. Though it's hard to say if it'll come out here, given all the cultural references and stuff.

3. Tomenasanner Wii (WiiWare)
Another WiiWare title, this one is from Konami and is a port of a cell phone title, as the trailer clearly shows: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIhrlpZxqjw The original game was basically an action platformer with just a one button control scheme, whereas the console version, thus far, features lots of dancing. The art style looks cool though, very minimal.

4. Kenka Bancho: Badass Rumble (PSP)
Otherwise known as that Atlus game in which they asked the public to come up with a name, and that's the best people could come up with. It's a Final Fight-esque brawler that's very heavy with the Japanese, especially when it comes to humor. I've always heard great things about the series (the PSP version is third in the series), and even got one of them for the PS2, but couldn't figure out what to do cuz of the language barrier.

5. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker (PSP)
Again, not the most original of choices, but I'm a Metal Gear fanboy, plus this newest portable installment finally appears to be the one I've been waiting for, not some goofy squad based title or card game, but a legit MSG entry, or so says Kojima-sensei: http://www.siliconera.com/2009/07/16/metal-gear-solid-peace-walker-lets-players-customize-snake-has-a-growth-feature/

6. Final Fantasy Gaiden: 4 Warriors of Light (DS)
I'm sure everyone's seen footage of the game, and if not: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zuR5TYWNUo I like adventure/RPGs on the go, and this particular title looks too damn cute to pass up.

7. Inazuma Eleven 2 (DS)
From the makers of Professor Layton and other awesome titles is this hybrid of soccer and role-playing. Worth noting is how your primary opponents are aliens. Aliens that play soccer. It was recently revealed that two flavors of the upcoming sequel are being prepped, a la Pokemon style, plus there's apparently an anime in the works, which leads one to believe that it might be coming stateside!

8. The Wizard of Oz: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road (DS)
This past winter, RIZ-ZOAWD, a RPG based on Wizard of Oz was a bit of a sleeper hit in Japan, and it's coming this way thanks to the folks at Xseed. I only got the chance to play around with it for just a few seconds at a press event a few weeks back, but was pretty impressed by the graphics and I hear from good sources that the battle system is a tons of fun.

9. Korg DS-10 Plus (DSi)
Am still a big fan of the original music creation software suite for the regular DS, and the DSi enhanced version looks to be even better. I was actually trying my best to seriously learn how to use the first edition, but got sidetracked by "stuff" so perhaps its best I just wait for ver. 2. BTW, Joe, do you still want a copy? I have an extra one lying around that's up for grabs.

10. The Silver Case (DS)
Here's a title that may not ever come out, according to it's creator, Suda 51. It's the prequel to Flower, Sun, and Rain, which also happens to be one of my fave DS games of the year (everyone else says it sucks, and all I can say is that they kinda don't get the game... and this coming from a dude that totally hated Killer 7, remember).

11. Retro/Grade (PSN)
Yet another $10 game I have to first spend $400 for, it's basically a combination of a music game and shump, one that also plays backwards in time. The trailer sorta explains it better: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Uj7IaNmxhs It also apparently uses a guitar controller, just like Fret Nice. Speaking of...

12. Fret Nice (PSN)
I played the original incarnation at GDC 08 and instantly fell in love with its mechanics, that being a platformer that's controlled via a guitar. Was initially turned off by the brand new art style, but it's slowly grown on me. Too bad the Godawful trailer doesn't tell you a damn thing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5CQYV9_dgI

13. Toro to Morimori/Toro! Let’s Party! (PS3)
For years, a cartoon cat known as Toro has served as Sony's unofficial PlayStation mascot in Japan, and just this week, a title featuring him and all his friends just came out in Japan. Granted, it's nothing more than just another collection of mini-games, but they're VERY pretty looking ones, plus some of them look kinda fun. Take a look: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Jv7JTvJEyg If I had a PS3, I'd nab a copy right now, or simply wait till next month, when it comes out in Hong Kong, where it'll be translated in English.

14. KiraKira (PC)
I have no idea if anyone remembers me mentioning this visual novel on my blog a while back, but it's finally been translated and released in America! Plus, it's been uncensored, which is certainly nice. For a closer look.... http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2009/07/22/kirakira-gets-english-release/... some of it is NSFW, btw.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 05:09:22 AM by FortNinety » Logged
dmauro

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 10:37:14 AM »

I've got to be honest, I read the titles of those games and wasn't intrigued enough to read the descriptions.
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 01:51:20 PM »

Sad

I would have added screenshots, but many do not have any at the moment, or at least any of substance. But seriously, half the stuff mentioned are right up your alley Dave.
dmauro

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 02:03:36 PM »

The title is firmly plot centred, so it will doubtless be of interest to those interested in the combination of romantic storyline with tasteful erotic artwork
I don't know, man.
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 02:05:49 PM »

Yeah, that last one is just for me, more or less.
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 02:37:12 AM »

Hey, isn't Trials HD coming out for the 360 this week? Surely you'll be getting that one, right Dave?
dmauro

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 12:35:06 PM »

Is it any different than the game for the PC?
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 02:13:30 PM »

Not sure. I would have to assume it's a straight-up port, since it's just a downloadable title and all. Then again, considering how must ports get maligned for XBLA (Turtles in Times is the most recent, prime example), who the hell can tell.

... Let me jump on PartnerNet and see if there's a copy available already.
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2009, 04:13:48 PM »

Hey, I totally forgot about this thread! Need to fix that. Anyhow, just announced...

http://tinycartridge.com/post/178153612/trailer-for-bit-trip-void-the-latest-from-gaijin

... In addition to our man Jeremiah doing the music, it looks like 8-bit Ikaruga (sorta), which is like, heaven.
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 02:21:51 PM »

About damn time!

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3176349
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2009, 07:07:22 PM »

Again, keep forgetting about this thread. Though now that lots of cool shit is starting to come down the pipeline at a rapid pace, for the holiday season...

Much like Joe, I simply cannot wait to get my hands on New Super Mario Bros Wii...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAUOCMzgNBs
isfet

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2009, 09:08:38 PM »

Matt, is there any kind of possibility that you might check out the Nintendo World Store this Saturday?  i'm heavily considering checking out how the "mushroom kingdom" ends up turning out. 

FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2009, 09:14:02 PM »

I've got nothing planned in the afternoon, so... sounds like a plan?
dmauro

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2009, 10:34:35 PM »

That's pretty awesome. I'm having trouble getting NSMB to run because I accidentally updated my Wii.
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2009, 03:33:57 PM »

Finally got it! But I'm currently waiting for Katie to come home (she was in Pittsburgh all weekend) to start playing. Picked it up this morning at the Gamestop near me, which used to be staffed with totally awesome folks, enough to make me not mind going there. Who, of course, have either all quit or been transferred to other locations. Hence why I'll no longer be going there; I'll spare my latest tale, since we all know how stupid their employees are.

Anyhow, Joe and I never did go to the Mushroom Kingdom yesterday; weather was crap and since I'm no longer on Nintendo're press list (along with EA, was unceremoniously dumped after word got to Nick Mag was dead, and I was one of the their prime contacts there), didn't feel like waiting in line forever (and in the rain). But I know he got the game anyway at Chinatown, which is the best place to go (in Manhattan) for broken street dates.

Dave, ever get your system up and running? BTW, I might need some help soft-modding my own Wii so I can play some homebrew VC titles.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: