Home Help Search Members Register
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
  Print  
Author Topic: Anything Good On TV?  (Read 88536 times)
dhex

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #135 on: May 26, 2010, 09:01:48 AM »

people like twisty plots. twin peaks, soap operas, etc.
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #136 on: May 26, 2010, 01:25:53 PM »

As so I, but isn't there a point in which it becomes so obvious that they're just making shit up as they go along that one can't help but roll their eyes?

Then again, I was one of the few people that rolled their eyes when I heard that statement "but they've been planting seeds for an entire Matrix Trilogy all along".

I guess what drives me nuts the most are all my creative, writer friends who sorta fell for the Lost bullshit. It's SO OBVIOUS that they're just using such lazy tricks.

Anyhow, in other news, they just added Beavis & Butthead to Netflix Instant, so all is right in the world again. God I had forgotten how fucking brilliant that show was.
dhex

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #137 on: May 26, 2010, 01:32:22 PM »

people like what they like and all that. one man's disjointed plot is another man's lynchian excursion into the darkest regions of the soul.

the only thing i know about lost is that it's making flann o'brien's estate happier, apparently. more people need to read the third policeman, so kudos to lost for that.
dhex

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #138 on: May 27, 2010, 01:47:23 PM »

http://nymag.com/arts/tv/reviews/66182/

In its early seasons, Law & Order could feel as brisk as a sonnet: setup, Briscoe wisecrack, two plot detours, an ideological debate, then a juicy cross-examination and a wry punch line from the D.A. If you watched it enough, you could build a taxonomy of Manhattan evil. There were your Upper East Side aristocrats with dirty family secrets; your sociopathic prep-schoolers with their plaid skirts and smirky cover stories; the genuinely chilling episodes about the Russian mob; the jaunty roman-à-clef celebrity plots; assorted intra-ethnic feuds; a sparkling universe of skeezeball husbands; those scaremongering the-Internet-will-kill-you plots; the tragic, hard-to-watch tales of child abuse (eventually relegated to SVU); and the rare yet satisfyingly gonzo episodes where the show became nothing but a series of red herrings, or seemed to be about one thing (sex trafficking!) but were actually about another thing entirely (identity theft).

i like the early and mid-90s myself, as it mirrors the nyc i remember as a teenage tourist. well, not mirrors, as i wasn't around any homicides - but it reminds me of the flavor of that time period. and jerry orbach was such a dick.
dhex

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #139 on: May 27, 2010, 01:58:29 PM »

continuing the nymag theme, joan rivers is apparently the most awesome,  most cuntiest friend you could ever have:

Rivers will take the piss out of anything. Shortly after I had lost a big job, she called, and when I answered the phone a bit too quickly she said, “Really? The first ring? So desperate.” And then she hung up on me.
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #140 on: June 05, 2010, 12:38:29 AM »

I remember noticing the same thing as a kid watching tons of sitcoms, but with a prop pizza box...

http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/06/04/lol-the-reoccurring-prop-newspaper/
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #141 on: June 09, 2010, 03:23:20 AM »

If this doesn't convince you of the splendor of Korean melodramas, nothing will...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md5-LbEnntc
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #142 on: July 08, 2010, 10:50:14 AM »

YES! I just hope they get to make fun of Lady Gaga vids...

http://www.enewsi.com/television/191-17975.html
dhex

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #143 on: November 22, 2010, 08:34:42 PM »

season finale of venture bros: "FIX IT!"
Fitz

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 25, 2010, 01:35:22 PM »

Best use of a Pulp song in cartoons.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
  Print  

Jump to: