Home Help Search Members Register
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
  Print  
Author Topic: Anything Good On TV?  (Read 94449 times)
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #90 on: January 09, 2010, 01:28:56 AM »

My definition of silly white people humor (cuz like you basically hit upon Mike, a vast majority of comedies, as well as television in general, are aimed at Caucasians), is stuff along the likes of office romances, faux-pas when it comes to emailing, dealing with too many remote controls, basically any banal subject matter that people at office kitchens spew in order to kill awkward silences while waiting for their Weight Watchers turkey meatloaf to finish microwaving. Stuff like that.

Another component, and this too is up for debate and scrutinizing, is how lots the fans of whatever perceive what they like to be cutting edge, even though it most certainly not, though the key here is how it genuinely excited it makes them feel as a result. But then you try introducing to them something that is actually interesting, but they can't handle it because "everyone talks too fast" or something similar.

Which is why I am actually jealous of some of the people I know who are diehard into Lost. It makes them so excited to such a degree that it's almost cute. But then you quickly figure out that they have very few other hobbies, and pieces start falling into place.

Though I mostly pick on Lost fans because its another one of those shows in which you nicely explain to them that its not your cup of tea, and they look at you like just told them to fuck off, simply because that's how its perceived, like your better than them. Though to be honest, after enough of that attitude, I can't help buy oblige. Better is how absolutely mortified in which you point out that, hey, maybe there isn't some grand master plan and that they're making shit up as they go along. Note: these are the same people who like to believe The Matrix and Star Wars was also laid out well in advance. And yes Mike, I know some strange people, though in this instance, worked with them.

Granted, most of what I just described is true for everything, but yes, some people out there (not everyone) genuinely believes Scrubs is edgy. Which is mind-blowing on several levels.

Same with Family Guy I hear....
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 01:35:18 AM by FortNinety » Logged
dhex

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #91 on: January 09, 2010, 09:25:23 AM »

oh, no one believes scrubs is edgy. that's just silly talk.

then again, what constitutes edgy these days? the guy with the "it's raining men" wtc tattoo?

anyway, i think you underestimate the number of non-white people who enjoy middle-of-the-road comedy. it's not all fatsuits, indie rap comedy/gansta films and the tyler perry megafranchise, after all.

as far as i know, i don't know any lost fans. nor do i know if star wars or the matrix was laid out ahead of time. but serial television is serial television; is lost as a phenomenon really much different than twin peaks?

as a side note apparently the show had a bit regarding the third policeman, a novel by flann o'brien. that's cool. more people should read that. most television will never do anything that neat in the real world, so i salute lost for making something good and real happen.

but to double back a moment, "the key here is how it genuinely excited it makes them feel" should really be the stop/start point of any serious engagement regarding entertainment. people enjoy things. fin. having a good back and forth about hawt n' nought or which action best fit what doo-dad is perfectly fine and enjoyable, so long as that original understanding is kept to.

but you know a tremendous amount of people who are twisted evangelicals for things you don't like. and you continually engage with them on these subjects. why? if it wasn't lost, it was firefly or serenity or another one of those space soap operas all my libertizzles like. perhaps when you talk to people about things you don't like, your barely hidden contempt and their desire for connection form a synergistic combination?
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #92 on: January 09, 2010, 10:21:27 AM »

I'm certain that Twin Peaks as a phenom would have mirrored Lost's if it had stuck around as long perhaps. Stuff like blogs, Twitter, and YouTube certainly has helped spread the gospel quite a bit, considerably (though I'm certain that it's not greatly responsible for its success; the web is not there yet). I'm too young to remember if there were Twin Peaks viewing parties or not, probably were.

Being a fan of some popular show has always meant being part of this big cultural thing, as silly as it sounds. Knowing where you were when you saw the last Cosby Show, saw Tiny Tim get married on the Tonight Show, that kind of stuff, its been around for decades. But web 2.0 has added an even stronger narcissistic element, in which everyone's an armchair evangelism and wanna be television executive. The same sorta holds true with Hollywood movies, and once again, while behind the scenes has always been fascinating (movies about movies go way the hell back), something basically changed over the past ten years or so, in which too much information began to flow freely and everyone had to add their own spin to the analysis. With the key differentiation being that now its possible to give one's opinions to the rest of the world without anyone else asking for it in the first place.

I guess it first hit me when I was working at Ubi Soft and the art guy overheard how I hadn't seen the season finale of Survivor, which was in its first season and I got chewed out for not being part of this cornerstone of the American consciousness. I actually understand what I meant, but he was just such a fucking asshole about it.

As for the people I know, and my attitude towards what they like, well, it purely depends on the person. The other day I hung out with someone that I had never socialized in person, and when he asked if I liked Lost, of course I didn't browbeat him. I'm not a fucking asshole. And if he had mentioned Family Guy, would have been the same thing. But with you Mike, I feel comfortable bitching the hell out of it for obvious reasons. The fact that I know you won't take it that seriously for one.

But re: those who are fanatical about stuff and whom I've known for a very long time... trust me when I say this that 99.9% of my "fucking whatever" simply goes over their heads and makes them even more determined to spew the gospel. So what else can I say? I know passionate people, and I can respect that to a certain extent. Though the exact reasons why they get so into and worked up about such I could go on and on about. Many feel that, as creative professionals, it's their job to analyze the shit out of everything. Though I still recall my first brush with his, when I asked friend A why friend B had such an intense interest in... I guess it was the Backstreet Boys at the time, something as silly as that... and friend A shot back with an annoyed "he's just trying to figure out why the public reacts so strongly to them, dumbass, it's part of his job." And it most certainly was not.
loopback

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 11, 2010, 10:52:23 PM »

i have loopback's problem, but about seinfeld. Smiley

Man the next time i am in New York, we are going to have to have drinks and rage about how much we hate Seinfeld and Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Those shows hit some weird primal spot and make me really angry. I don't have the same reaction to people who like those shows as I do with T&E, but ... good gravy, I hate those shows.
isfet

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 12, 2010, 07:10:53 AM »

people who hate Seinfeld and Curb Your Enthusiasm just need to come clean about their anti semitism

i kid

but yea, for reals, i can't stand Woody Allen.  which apparently doesn't make sense, considering i enjoy the aforementioned TV shows.  but yea, the characters in his movies come off as people in NYC that i typically can't stand on any level.  it's kind of why i don't like Lady Gaga.
Fitz

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 12, 2010, 09:26:45 AM »

"Take the Money and Run" is the real test.

If you don't like that movie don't bother with anything Woody Allen ever did afterwards.
dhex

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #96 on: January 12, 2010, 09:57:25 AM »

what's up, tiger lily is good times.

but that's actually why i could never deal with seinfeld. if friends were jerkoffs on the upper east side, seinfeld was their rent-controlled neighbor to the west.
isfet

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 12, 2010, 11:40:00 AM »

part of me wants to say i'll give those films a shot, but i really kind of can't be bothered.

but yea, sometimes a dislike of a celebrity etc. can be tied into something that's either rational or irrational (depending on who you talk to).

another example, off the top of my head, is my intense dislike for Lady Gaga.  i don't really care about her music, one way or the other, but she herself reminds me of a very specific type of NYC girl that i absolutely cannot stand so it's pretty impossible for me to get past that.
Fitz

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 12, 2010, 11:53:45 AM »

I don't know...Italian girl from a near-suburb of NYC with a screwy fashion sense and a desperate need for attention...and she's an Illuminati Shill...

Sounds vaguely like college to me...

dhex

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #99 on: January 12, 2010, 11:54:26 AM »

hot trashy girls? fit students?

i prefer to call her peaches 3.0 and leave it at that.

but very little entertainment is particularly levelheaded. it wouldn't be entertainment if it was, really. consider the fun of drinking brain poisons and yelling at each other in a ritual we call "good times". it's awesome. but silly.
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #100 on: January 15, 2010, 12:29:28 PM »

I have no idea if anyone else around here gives a shit, but the latest light night war has been a great source of entertainment (I used to be a hardcore follower of the late night shows, but haven't really given a shit since the last big war)...

http://tv.gawker.com/5448615/late-night-wars-jay-leno-turns-the-tables-and-bashes-conan-obrien-is-then-bashed-harder-by-jimmy-kimmel
dmauro

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 15, 2010, 01:34:54 PM »

Yeah I was reading that earlier. Funny stuff.
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #102 on: January 19, 2010, 04:23:27 PM »

BTW, for anyone who hasn't been following along, here comes the Chinese to help clarify the situation....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJ9m1an-pQ8
dhex

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #103 on: January 19, 2010, 04:34:12 PM »

the continuing popularity of leno or letterman is really baffling.
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #104 on: January 25, 2010, 08:52:41 AM »

The Times has a decent summation of the entire situation, which just wrapped up (and thank God, as much as I genuinely cared, it was also starting to get boring)...

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/25/business/media/25conan.html

It's been tough trying to explain to folks who don't give a shit about such matters why I'm interested, since as Katie put it best as dumb rich white guys arguing over bullshit. And legacies as they related to television are indeed bullshit, but I'm tried of repeating my specific reason, so for anyone that's interested, they go head on over to the usual place.

Though there's also the issue of a nice guy getting fucked over by his job, and watching another person who also got screwed finally opening his mouth after many years of silence. Then you have what's been described in the article above; people passionately and all of a sudden caring about stupid shit when they never really did in the first place.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
  Print  

Jump to: