Home Help Search Members Register
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10
  Print  
Author Topic: Anything Good On TV?  (Read 94472 times)
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2009, 02:49:48 AM »

Hardly qualifies as awesome, hence why I'm not posting this in that thread...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9lkmd-mMJ0

... Again, the comments are pretty golden (and spot on).
dmauro

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2009, 01:52:35 PM »

That's not snow, someone in the armory accidentally set off a white phosphorous shell.

Obviously the child has triggered Ragnorak. Soon he will go to the Middle East and kill his own father.

Time to bust out the CLP.
(cleaner, lubricant, preservative)

Nuclear Fallout! Get the fuck out of there now!
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2009, 03:28:49 PM »

Chris Elliot has a sister and she's on SNL?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/29/magazine/29Elliott-t.html?_r=1&ref=magazine

... That alone might be reason enough to start watching again. With the key word here being "might".
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 01:03:33 PM by FortNinety » Logged
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2009, 01:03:56 PM »

More on the comic genius of Chris Elliot...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTAFWrUtjr0
isfet

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2009, 10:10:26 AM »

so, i'm waiting on Disc 3 of Season 1 of Twin Peaks.

it's not that the show was so hyped up to me and i was expecting miracles but...thus far, i think the show is only "ok" or "kind of cute."

like, it's enjoyable to watch, but i'm not at the edge of my seat or anything.  i don't feel compelled to watch it, but don't mind watching it either.  and i can't help but imagine what the show might be like if it had had the luxury of being on something like HBO.  i understand that a restrained David Lynch was probably the challenge that he wanted to take on, but it's not perfect.

though the dream sequence with the midget and backwards talking was pretty exceptional, i'll give it that.
dmauro

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2009, 11:06:58 AM »

That show is all about Agent Dale Cooper. One of my favorite fictional characters, but amidst a show mired in the usual made for TV'ness that you get with TV shows. The end of it gets pretty fun, but you'll want to fast forward through much of Season 2 to get there. It won't hurt to skip straight through the biker kid's subplot where he's fixing some woman's car out of town.
isfet

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2009, 12:25:12 PM »

oh yea, well that character in particular is pretty great, for sure.

like i said, there are really excellent parts of the show, but as a collective whole, i don't find it especially compelling.

and then Lynch didn't even direct most of season 2, right?  i guess i could skip ahead and whatnot, but that's sort of irritating in its own way.  what, in particular, is so bad about the earlier episodes of that season?  just out of curiousity.
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #52 on: December 16, 2009, 01:05:13 PM »

I have yet to be convinced that stuff like Lost and the like has managed to do anything close to what Twin Peaks has already achieved, let alone top it.

And it's hardly perfect, that's for damn sure. But other than completely breaking new ground for network television, especially at the time (just check out what else was airing circa the 1990s), it's still a fine experiment. One that's flawed, but still. If anything, it proves that you really can't do more than two season when it comes to those kinds of shows.

Katie got me the complete set for my birthday, but I must confess that I've had a hard time watching it from beginning to end, and mostly just skip around. I actually prefer the first season, when things were far tighter, but season two gets really interesting near the end, with the "we gotta end this" vibe that permeates throughout.

And yeah, Agent Dale Cooper is still one of the best all-around television characters to grace network television in the past 20 years. And the last episode is without a doubt one of the greatest last episodes, period.

I really wish On The Air, the sitcom that Lynch did immediately afterwards, with pretty much the entire same cast, was readily available.
Fitz

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 16, 2009, 02:16:23 PM »

like i said, there are really excellent parts of the show, but as a collective whole, i don't find it especially compelling.

In most cases Lynch doesn't really do compelling.  He's more in the Lovecraft style of creating an immersive environment and then not really sure where to go once it is created.

In terms of Twin Peaks specifically I think it suffers a bit from Catcher in the Rye syndrome. For a lot of people it was the first "weird" tv show they ever saw and so they fell in love.  And like most adolescent loves it was neither as good as remembered nor can you really explain it to someone who didn't get caught by it at that time.

loopback

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 16, 2009, 05:58:05 PM »

I was present in the moment when Twin Peaks was a big deal, was the perfect age to think it was awesome, and was even a bit of a Lynch fan back then, in the era of Eraserhead and Dune and Blue Velvet.

But Twin Peaks never grabbed me, and on the whole, as I've gotten older, I've found less and less to like about the work Lynch does, and more and more reasons to think he's an overhyped director who doesn't generate the depth people think he does.

I suspect a lot of my anti-Lynchean sentiments would fade if people would start admitting his movies are just eye candy with no depth, designed to elicit a response of, "OH MAN THAT WAS SOOOO WEEEEIRD" and nothing more.
The Drunken Samurai

TDS21o3
View Profile Email
« Reply #55 on: December 17, 2009, 12:47:22 AM »

and then Lynch didn't even direct most of season 2, right?  i guess i could skip ahead and whatnot, but that's sort of irritating in its own way.  what, in particular, is so bad about the earlier episodes of that season?  just out of curiousity.

id say watch up to episode 2x07, dont mind the shut in along the way,then skip to the final episode.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 07:44:51 AM by The Drunken Samurai » Logged
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2009, 02:06:27 AM »

I guess I qualify as someone who suffer Catcher in the Rye syndrome. Then again, maybe not; prior to Twin Peaks, I watched a lot of wacky, off-beat television, mostly stuff on PBS, like Alive From Off Center/Alive TV, plus old stuff like The Prisoner, and the countless crazy programs that was somewhat standard fare on late night CBC (that's Canadian Broadcast Channel for those who aren't in the know). So Peaks was definitely weird, but not THAT weird to me by that point.

It's definitely a product of the time, that's undeniable (in fact, I always have to stress this point when speaking of its virtues). Perhaps being the first is why the thing as a whole just feels a lot more sincere, which is my primary hang-up with Lost. Then again, maybe I'm just old and know too much and maybe Twin Peaks in its prime brought together many boring white people to have viewing "parties" where everyone sat around trying to figure out what the hell is going on and actually believes that there's this overall plan (yeah, right).

Also, I was a David Lynch fan at the time, that also helped, and still am, but am not in love with all of his stuff. Everyone says that The Straight Story is excellent, but if it doesn't have dancing midgets in it, what's the fucking point? And everyone says Inland Empire is brilliant, but everything I've seen and heard about it sounds boring as hell.

BTW, On The Air, in case anyone was curious...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYef8OjlNBw
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #57 on: December 17, 2009, 02:07:20 AM »

And Alive TV...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfqxRJNIRU4

... Last I checked, the Museum of Television And Radio had a bunch of episodes available for viewing, but that was like ten years ago. I should really spend a whole day there.
The Drunken Samurai

TDS21o3
View Profile Email
« Reply #58 on: December 17, 2009, 05:21:44 AM »

Everyone says that The Straight Story is excellent, but if it doesn't have dancing midgets in it, what's the fucking point?

oh man. youre so wrong about the straight story. its not some abstract crap thing at all and it easily his best film. inland empire on the other hand, IS abstract crap and three hours long. i kind of enjoyed it a bit though.

as far as Lost is concerned, its more drama/soap opera-y than "lol weird" so it can be easier to digest which is why it probably ran for so long, and not burning itself out too soon. which business wise makes a lot of sense.
dhex

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #59 on: December 17, 2009, 09:07:30 AM »

the straight story is the only lynch movie/project i really liked.

blue velvet is mostly good, though.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10
  Print  

Jump to: