Home Help Search Members Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
  Print  
Author Topic: Anything Good On TV?  (Read 88535 times)
dhex

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2009, 11:38:58 AM »

i have no idea how that show got greenlit nor why anyone would watch it.

on the other hand i watch family guy reruns on adult swim and still giggle.

but comedy is much like love, in that it is a battlefield. i don't have the finely-tuned sense of schadenfreude to really enjoy the office and other examples of the theater of the uncomfortable.
isfet

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2009, 11:54:28 AM »

most of the shows i'd like to watch (venture bros, metalacolypse) are mainly on one channel. 

actually, i'd like to catch some Anthony Bourdain and Travel Channel stuff, but the reality is, i still don't want to pay an extra $50 a month for it. 

though Netflix instant play has really changed the game completely.
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2009, 12:14:31 PM »

Quote from: dhex
i have no idea how that show got greenlit nor why anyone would watch it.

It's actually quite simple: guy creates two ratings winners (I'm assuming that American Dad is getting the ratings, hence why it keeps coming back), so they're gonna greenlight almost anything, without question. See: Cop Rock.

And not to be a dick, but I would love to hear someone from someone who loves Family Guy to death why they hate this new show since, from my perhaps uninformed pov, both are absolutely the same, albeit with a different coat of paint.

Quote from: dhex
but comedy is much like love, in that it is a battlefield. i don't have the finely-tuned sense of schadenfreude to really enjoy the office and other examples of the theater of the uncomfortable.

The British Office is one thing, but that shit they have for Americans is a whole different ballgame, designed purely for scared white people, much like Scrubs.

Quote from: isfet
actually, i'd like to catch some Anthony Bourdain and Travel Channel stuff, but the reality is, i still don't want to pay an extra $50 a month for it.

Fifty? It's it just 70 alone for just bare bones basic?
dhex

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2009, 12:17:21 PM »

i only saw a minute or two of it, and it seemed more like a sitcom sendup than a manatee joke parade. same reason i never got into american dad (plus i hate the logo).
isfet

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2009, 12:38:01 PM »

i think it's $70 if you're getting like, HBO.  which i probably would, so...

either way, it's not worth that much to me.  and as more and more things becomes available on Netflix instant as they're released, it becomes less of an issue for me.

The Cleaveland Show.  caught this last week, when it premiered.  i'd say it's somewhere between "better than American Dad" and "better than what i expected" but still "not very good."  i guess the thing of how i could enjoy Family Guy but not the other 2 shows which are almost the same, i think it comes down to the characters and their delivery.  a German goldfish and a gay space alien can really only take things so far.

the only thing i saw with the Cleaveland show is that they're now able to pump in more black jokes.
Fitz

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2009, 05:27:14 PM »

a German goldfish and a gay space alien can really only take things so far.

It's those two, particularly an alien doing Paul Lynde, combined with the oddly accurate portrayal of the kind of nutsos involved in Intel work that make me enjoy the show.

Normally I see both Family Guy and American Dad as the penance I have to do before the Adult Swim shows I like to watch are on.  Which is too bad as I like both shows, I just don't want to have to watch them. Same with King of the Hill.

Cleveland looks like it could be a good, if short lives, satire of the "Black Character Spin-off" phenomena that was set into motion by "The Jeffersons" but really crystalized with "Family Matters" in terms of the cliche elements (new incongruous setting, tacked on family members previously unheard of but suddenly of importance to the character, sassy household member, wacky neighbors who eventually take over the series, etc).

The reason for the line about re-calibrating your evidence is that Network comedy has never been good. We lived through the age of "Perfect Strangers." The few good shows that have existed were few and far between in every phases of TV history and usually only had a few golden years before things lost their sense of direction, actors got demanding, core writing staff blew up, etc.
dhex

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2009, 12:01:17 AM »

We lived through the age of "Perfect Strangers."

and bosom buddies!
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2009, 12:19:36 AM »

Once again, was always more of a Night Court person myself.
Fitz

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2009, 01:23:33 AM »

Loved Night Court once they got the cast sorted out. It should have ended sooner than it did but there were a few really solid years in the middle.

FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2009, 01:50:10 AM »

I can understand folks who feel like they shouldn't have gone for that tenth season, and I too would have preferred the less than perfect note that wrapped up season nine. But overall, I enjoyed the happy ending that we got in the end.

Though nothing is gonna top the last episode of Newhart as the best last episode ever for a sitcom.
dhex

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2009, 02:58:56 PM »

last episode of rosanne was a pretty good fuck you, actually.

anyway, the new family guy (a universe run by dogs) was pretty damn great.
pilot

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2009, 02:46:30 PM »

Anyone catch the Venture Brothers season premiere last night? We don't have cable so I guess we'll be waiting awhile til we see it.
dark steve

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2009, 03:56:39 PM »

it ought to be free online on the adult swim site
dhex

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2009, 04:18:30 PM »

it was awesome!
dark steve

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2009, 04:24:31 PM »

yeah it's getting super weird (in the good way)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
  Print  

Jump to: