Home Help Search Members Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
  Print  
Author Topic: Anything Good On TV?  (Read 88534 times)
dhex

View Profile WWW Email
« on: July 28, 2009, 08:41:56 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FqQsaK5KpQ

neat.
dark steve

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 09:00:35 PM »

oh my god it's finally happening
dmauro

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 09:51:32 PM »

And here I am not even having watched the original yet.
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 12:15:29 AM »

Looks decent. Though in the end, I'll still vastly prefer the original. Which I really need to get on DVD! Along with Danger Man.
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 12:16:44 AM »

BTW, also at Comic Con, the remake/reboot of V premiered, and all reports say that it's pretty awesome. I'm actually looking forward to that a lot more than The Prisoner redux, mostly since the original V hasn't aged nearly as well (but it's still fairly enjoyable).
loopback

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 01:16:44 PM »

I am a bit dubious about the remake of The Prisoner. So much of what makes that show great for me is the time period of it, and the overwhelming Vision Of Patrick McGoohan(tm) that drove the whole thing, end-to-end.

This new version looks interesting, and were it not called The Prisoner I might be very excited. as it is, all I can think is, "oh goody, a chance for someone to try and do another Lost variant, where there are lots of hints, but it rarely comes together coherently."

We'll see.  Ian McKellen is awesome in that trailer, though. But that is another one of those things from the original series that I thought was so good: the entire power structure, with the exception of the butler & the Supervisor (who never take a direct role against #6) are faceless and replacable. a new #2 nearly every episode and a constantly rotating cast of extras made #6 the only constant, further de-anchoring him from any kind of stable or routine life.
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 02:04:59 PM »

My thoughts exactly. I know this has always been the case, but now more than ever, for a show to get greenlit, it has to strongly resemble another hit show, and it felt a bit too Lost for my tastes. The only saving grace if I actually think about it is Ian McKellen, otherwise, I wouldn't have bothered to sit through the entire ten minute teaser.

Oh, and everyone says the new V feels a lot like Battlestar Galactica, for what it's worth.
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 04:17:09 AM »

It's past 4 in the morning, and I have CW11 on, cuz here in NYC, they play a whole hour of South Park at three, which is not only awesome but very much appreciated, since I don't have cable. But now Reno 911 is on, a show I have never understood, though perhaps I'm especially befuddled since earlier in the evening, Katie and I watched these two best of Cops DVDs that Mike lent me. Thanks again dude.

Seriously, I don't get it, what's the appeal? Is it for people who find the real thing too scary or something? Note: I was actually a big fan of The State (haven't gotten the DVD, yet) and some of the performers, but they're just not funny on this particular program. I also never saw Stella when it was on Comedy Central, for perhaps obvious reasons, but I did see their original pilot, which was circulating for a couple of years underground, and eventually got them a TV deal. Its still in my mind the absolute worst sketch comedy I have ever seen, enough for me to think that the whole State thing was a total fluke.

Though on a related note, I did finally just get the Venture Brothers Season 3 DVDs. It's not as mindblowing as season two, but I'm only two episodes in. Still, fucking awesome.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 04:21:49 AM by FortNinety » Logged
pilot

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 06:15:42 PM »

Yes thanks for the COPS dvds! "Shots Fired" > "Caught in the Act" but the latter features an amazing New York circa 1995 subway pickpocket bust.
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2009, 01:48:48 PM »

The trailer for season 4 of Venture Brothers has been released...

http://www.adultswim.com/video/?episodeID=8a250aae232d7b5101232eeeff310004

... As expected, good stuff!
dhex

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2009, 02:09:06 PM »

that looks outstanding.
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2009, 04:45:23 PM »

When is saw Kevin McDonald live a couple weeks back, I mention how he said the Kids In The Hall were getting together for a new show. Had no idea it would be Canada only...

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118007555.html?categoryid=14&cs=1&ref=ssp

... Though I'm assuming that Comedy Central will picked up almost immediately afterward.
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2009, 09:48:46 PM »

For whatever dumb reason, I tried watching that Family Guy spin-off earlier tonight, but couldn't get through more than five minutes. If anyone needs further evidence that network comedy is dead, look no further. But what amazed me was how absolutely mean-spirited it was. To be honest, that's always been an issue with Family Guy and that other dumb show I think, but it just seemed worse this time (and this coming from a guy that finds a lot of fucked up shit funny even if it ain't).
Fitz

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2009, 10:30:58 PM »

Your notion of evidence may need a re-calibration.

FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2009, 10:53:55 PM »

Here's a small example: I forget if it was earlier tonight, or from some other McFarlane show I accidentally caught recently (despite not having cable, it seems to be on all the time whenever I switch around), but out of the blue, one of that characters just flat out says Delta Burke is a big fat cow. That's it. Actually, I forget if it was Burke, or some other plus-sized actress, but seriously, that was it. No real follow-up or anything. The least they could have done was illustrate the point someway.

BTW, I don't have a problem with their reliance on cultural references like many others. 90% of televised comedy has been about topical humor since day one... I can still enjoy old SNLs, SCTVs, hell, I still enjoyed old Merrie Melody shorts despite not getting all the old Hollywood jokes (okay, that stuff was shown in the theaters originally, but still, an apt example since most folks grew up with those cartoons on TV, like myself). The key difference is how absurdly lazy Family Guy and those other shows are with their jokes, which themselves are just not funny.

Back to my "example" it seriously sounded like whomever on the writing staff had a personal beef with Burke and just had to throw a cheapshot out there. And that was it. I know that's not really the case, but I still get similar kinds of douche chills. At least on South Park, they take things to some wacky step. It's not wonder they want to slap McFarlane up the side of the head.

I suppose it's worth pointing out that I find fat jokes to be pretty low rent, unless they are handled creatively. SCTV's constant weight jokes aimed at Orsen Welles were funny, still are, because of John Candy and his excellent performance, the well written sketch that called for it, or the fact that there was a reason in the first place.

I also wonder how Mike Judge, who was helming the only good animated comedy up until last week on the network feels about him being replaced by whatever the hell earlier tonight was supposed to be.

Meanwhile on cable, and I don't know how you feel about the show Fitz, since I know all too well how Mike feels about it, but despite being perfectly happy with just local programming, I really wish I had HBO right now to check out the new season of Curb Your Enthusiasm.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 10:57:02 PM by FortNinety » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
  Print  

Jump to: