Home Help Search Members Register
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: education, business majors get religion / english is a den of sin  (Read 6820 times)
dhex

View Profile WWW Email
« on: July 28, 2009, 12:12:42 PM »

not really, but still interesting:

http://highclearing.com/index.php/archives/2009/07/28/9576

There’s a study getting some discussion regarding religion and higher education. Although I have not RTFA (I’d have to pay), the most discussed findings are (quoted from the Inside Higher Ed article):

* Being a humanities or a social science major has a statistically significant negative effect on religiosity — measured by either religious attendance and how important students consider the importance of religion in their lives. The impact appears to be strongest in the social sciences.
    * Students in education and business show an increase in religiosity over their time at college.
    * Majoring in the biological or physical sciences does not affect religious attendance of students, but majoring in the physical sciences does negatively relate to the way students view the importance of religion in their lives.
Llydis

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 01:43:14 PM »

I was kind of surprised my logic instructor was catholic. Since she always knew how to push buttons and forced people to think critically. Then again, she also saw how weird some of her fellow church members were.
dark steve

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 02:10:02 PM »

Man why would logic conflict with Catholicism? 
Llydis

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 02:54:49 PM »

Because it's hard to logically prove the existence of a God.
dhex

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 03:23:14 PM »

scholasticism sez naw, thun.
isfet

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 05:19:07 PM »

well this study just proves that we need to overhaul the liberal-minded college education system in this pagan country
dhex

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 10:42:38 AM »

isn't it mostly pagans who teach all those "don't offend anyone and dear god keep that white dick in your pants before you rape africa with it" classes in college anyway?

also i mean jesuits. i think most things should be taught by jesuits. not because they're necessarily going to always be better at it than regular people - though that's probably true most of the time - but because it still has a bit of cultural currency to it.

"i'm jesuit educated, motherfucker."
scratchmonkey

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 01:35:21 PM »

"Educated by Methodists" doesn't quite have the same ring.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: