Home Help Search Members Register
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: The Awesome Music Thread  (Read 18754 times)
scratchmonkey

View Profile
« on: July 22, 2009, 12:31:34 AM »

We needed someplace to gab about music. This here is that place.

The album of the year for me absolutely has to be Tim Hecker's An Imaginary Country. It would take something absolutely spectacular to better it. For those unfamiliar, the music is best described as drone-y ambient/soundscape. Imagine the best of ambient Aphex Twin (SAW2 in particular) and the best of Boris' drone output and smash it together in cascading layers of pseudo-feedback and reverb.

Although there are different tracks and they're somewhat identifiable, the album definitely exists as a whole, with the "instrumentation" (such as it is) and the overall pace not really changing from track to track, instead there's gradual tonal shifts and themes that slip in and out and recur, creating an aural effect not unlike more unified musical forms of the past (like symphonies) and really, this album has a lot more in common formally with somebody like Klaus Schulze than say, Autechre.
dhex

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 08:48:26 AM »

i concur on an imaginary country.

right now i'm spinning james blackshaw's "the glass bead game" into the ground. it dances on the line between "too pretty" and "ridiculously transcendent" pretty dang hard. highly recommended.
Fitz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 12:49:42 PM »

right now i'm spinning james blackshaw's "the glass bead game" into the ground. it dances on the line between "too pretty" and "ridiculously transcendent" pretty dang hard. highly recommended.

Goodness...that was an unexpected treat...
loopback

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 10:03:01 PM »

I have of late fallen into some musical styles that are not Things I Normally Like. In particular, Jason Webley & his motley crew of weirdos. This weird sort of musical scene that is apparently utterly unaware of the notion of irony or being 'above it all'.  Not in an anti-hipster sense, but in what seems like a weirdly ignorant approach, where it never occurred to him that being ironic would make sense.

It is also possible I am over-romanticizing a live show that ended with cake for everybody.
EarlMadness

No Yiffing!

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 12:25:58 PM »

Yeah, I feel like the odd one out, but listening to lately Uzuhi and The Notorious MSG.  Uzuhi plays like a more acapella version of PeelanderZ (for anyone who remembers them when I mentioned'em) and a tad more abrasive.

They actually just threw up their first music video here; http://www.spinearth.tv/freethenoise/541
It's nice and, um, new.  It's entertaining.

The Notorious MSG is just a straight-up rap group with all the members coming from Chinatown, here in New York.  Their pretty old-school rap with rock and roll elements; http://music.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=music.popupplayer&shuffle=true&amix=false&pmix=false&plid=28140&artid=2409781&profid=13473155&friendid=13473155&sseed=81013&ptype=3&stime=0&ap=1&rpeat=false

isfet

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 12:24:14 PM »

yea, Tim Hecker is one of the most played albums of this year for me.

but one of the best things i've heard in 2009 has to be a 1970's Nigerian compilation CD called "African Scream Contest."  it's just so goddamned good and everyone absolutely loves it at parties.
dmauro

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2009, 01:37:14 PM »

Okay I haven't actually even listened to the CD yet, and I'm not even sure I'm gonna like it, but the cover for this Machinedrum album that I won in a raffle at an event Thursday night is pretty awesome:

pilot

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 01:12:25 PM »

I have been trying to find a torrent for Pocahaunted to no avail. I like what I have heard even though I'm pretty sure their music is what would come out if you stuck a pair of headphones onto an Urban Outfitters.
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 10:53:28 PM »

Hey Dave, how'd that CD turn out? And that cover is rad... not as rad as this of course...

... Again, wonderful album.
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 11:16:07 PM »

Anyway, anyone here familiar with World's End Girlfriend? I'm pretty good at describing most things, except music, perhaps because I feel like my musical palette is limited, hence why it's hard to come up with comparison that aren't totally ludicrous. But basically, Japanese avant garde soundscapes, that sorta thing. If you like the Boredoms and Jacob ter Veldhuis (not saying that they're at all similar, of course), then you'll probably dig WEG.

EDIT: I guess a slight taste wouldn't hurt....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtNntFUcar0

... Though I guess it's the conversion to Flash, cuz the original mix sounds less mangled.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 11:18:17 PM by FortNinety » Logged
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2009, 11:22:33 PM »

Here's a fave of mine...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNqu6g_uFOI
pilot

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2009, 02:48:57 PM »

Time for an unofficial fort90forum poll... would you go to see a band live who is getting pretty old/not putting out good albums anymore? Or would you only go see bands who are still currently making exciting music? Case in point, Sonic Youth (yes) is playing at Terminal 5 with Dinosaur Jr (no) and I'm wondering if I should bother since their last three albums were a little bland. Just wondering what peoples attitudes were to shows like this.
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2009, 04:37:27 PM »

I believe that even the most rusty old acts have a little spark left in them when they're on stage. Granted, numerous other elements have to fall in line, like the crowd and the such, but if it's also your first time seeing them, and you adored them in the past, I say why not. It's always nice to say that you saw such and such in person. Unless seeing them make total fools of themselves will crush your soul, but this is Sonic Youth we're talking about.

Shame about Dinosaur Jr though.
dhex

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2009, 07:11:12 PM »

if you've never seen them before, why not?

if you have and you loved it, maybe sit it out if memories are easily soiled.

lately i've been listening to the new wolves in the throne room a lot. also busting out worship the glitch and black light district by coil and pretending they're a double album.

i'd compare world's end girlfriend to stars of the lid, generally, even though stars of the lid is far more drift/drone rock in nature.
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2009, 05:24:04 PM »

Joe, Katie says you're familiar with these guys?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWZxThGh5wQ

... Definitely interested in hearing more. At the very least, the video is pretty awesome.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: