Home Help Search Members Register
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Otaku Sociology/Ethnography?  (Read 7902 times)
Fitz

View Profile
« on: January 07, 2011, 09:30:05 AM »

A bit of a long-shot but does anyone know of a decent Ethnographic or Sociological account of Otaku?  I have a pet idea I'm rolling around and need some brain fuel.

FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 01:07:37 AM »

Hmmm.... I've love to help if possible. Mind if I get more info tomorrow?
dhex

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 07:56:04 PM »

i asked the only person i know who would know such a thing, and while he said that there's been a few people who built "otaku studies" type phd dissertations/majors, he's never read any of the stuff. (and they tend to be a) fans and b) more interested in the technology side of things than the ethnographic.)

maybe danah boyd's done something along these lines? she's big on communitas 2.0 type stuff.
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 04:18:53 PM »

I think the best person to talk to Fitz might be, and you probably know this already, Danny Choo.
scratchmonkey

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 04:44:43 PM »

maybe danah boyd's done something along these lines? she's big on communitas 2.0 type stuff.

Ha! My wife went to school with Danah Boyd. She makes this great sound whenever her name comes up.
dhex

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 07:29:41 PM »

i could totally see that (i don't use lc for everything, after all) but still...she's kind of the "name" as far as these things go.
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 07:37:36 PM »

Was going to post this in the Tattoo thread, since that's where we last spoke about "dollfie dreams", but since it's somewhat related to the current discussion (kinda), and is currently the only active thread around here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84mNQnvwxWE
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: