Home Help Search Members Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: LOL Technology OR Oh The Future And The Marvels It Will Bring!  (Read 55470 times)
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« on: July 21, 2009, 06:45:10 PM »

Had a similar thread last time, which I personally liked, since it was a chance to toss in all sorts of robot related junk which I'm a fan of.

Anyway, guess which of the two headings the following falls under?

http://www.slate.com/id/2223214/

... Never been a fan of the Kindle, and never will be, so this article doesn't make it me hate it anymore, but it certainly doesn't do it any favors.
dhex

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 08:49:04 AM »

i can't wait until someone gets a kindle-like device right.
isfet

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 10:17:22 AM »

i'm imagining the most successful one will probably be something third party that will allow you to purchase "books" (text, really) from authors directly or from the publishing company directly.  or...well, i dunno, i have a tough time predicting exactly how books are going to be published in the next 20 years.  i sort of assume publishing companies will simply become more of a PR thing.
Llydis

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 01:51:54 PM »

I'm really  not willing to get a Kindle anytime soon. Mostly since I like to know I actually own a copy of a book than have a license to be able to display the text of a book.

Besides, there are some books that actually do interesting things with the type that might be hard to set on a Kindle.
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 02:36:08 PM »

Not also helping is how, at least in NYC, people who have a Kindle are some of the most obnoxious twats imaginable.

Plus the design of the unit itself is ugly as sin and the actual display of text is a complete joke, especially when you consider the cost of the unit. I know all this will be fixed in due time, but still.
dhex

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 03:50:14 PM »

Besides, there are some books that actually do interesting things with the type that might be hard to set on a Kindle.

not really - pdf can do whatevs. i fear for the day when books aren't interactive enough and need vid clips Sad

i actually like what i've seen of the kindle (which isn't a whole whole lot) but the cost is ridiculous.

my e-reader will need to:

a) have some degree of network connectivity
b) open pdf, txt, doc and other file formats
c) allow some editing/footnote functionality
d) be under $200

so i'll be checking one out in about three to five years, i figure.
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 04:27:27 PM »

I'd give dhex the custom tag of "a pdf's best friend" but that will only sense to those familiar with TGQ and is not even that funny to begin with.

Plus the way that Simple Machines makes ranks/tags is weird and confusing to me.
Fitz

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 04:34:04 PM »

Make something akin to an iPhone the size of a trade paperback with a stylus for highlights/notes and an option for wireless keyboard and I'm sold.
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 04:36:06 PM »

I guess I should mention that I actually use the kindle reader for the iPhone on occasion, but only to read wrestling newsletters, since I don't have a day job and a printer to abuse for a hard copy. Also, the reader itself was free, but it's interface is pretty crappy and not worth the bother, hence why I barely use it.
dhex

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 08:36:58 AM »

i'm also betting the first decent cheap e-reader will get a rockbox style OS overhaul hack to unlock various features.
Llydis

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2009, 02:45:10 PM »

I tried using this one magazine reader on my computer a while back. It sucks, I'd rather just have an issue as a PDF so I wouldn't have to use that horrible piece of software.

dark steve

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2009, 02:55:20 PM »

I've always had a sneaking suspicion that the second killer app for e-readers (besides one cheap enough to save print journalism) would be one with a high enough resolution for comics and manga. 
Llydis

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2009, 03:45:15 PM »

I'm surprised nobody has thought of that yet. I mean, they have plans for that for portable game systems, like with how they did the MGS and SH stuff for PSP. But, it'd be so much nicer to read them on a format that has a higher resolution screen... That isn't a laptop.
dmauro

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2009, 03:54:16 PM »

I don't think they have the technology (or not cheap enough maybe) to do color/high resolution e-ink.
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2009, 05:46:55 PM »

Again, was gonna start a new cell phone thread, but found this old but still useful topic...

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/03/technology/companies/03att.html?_r=2

... I guess it makes me feel better that I'm not the only one who has such problems with the iPhone. And hearing Joe talk about his woes whenever he's in Manhattan also somewhat validateing me as well.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to: