Home Help Search Members Register
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: testing begins on aids vaccine  (Read 6336 times)
dhex

View Profile WWW Email
« on: July 20, 2009, 10:07:07 AM »

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jYfmlJybMcNe_Uze-ilsLTKgJGygD99HS0OG0

no, it's not a rense.com headline joke; i was thinking about what a world post-aids would be like, especially in terms of what would happen to the funding apparatus in the u.s., which is large, connected and entrenched. (some argue that it's overfunded in terms of the actual impact of aids, but that's an argument for other people to have.)
Llydis

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 01:27:06 PM »

AIDS was a wake up call when it came to safe sex. So hopefully people will remain as safe as they were when it comes to AIDS even if AIDS does not exist anymore.

I'm not sure if I could put a lot off stock behind it working though. AIDS is a tricky thing, and It seems like when you think you have the jump on it, it decides to mutate and give you the finger.
dhex

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 09:29:44 AM »

safer sex is a harder sell than you'd think, even  - or especially - among groups most at-risk. hell, it's hard enough selling "unprotected sex will give you babies" to the breeder kids. hence the re-emergence of gonorrhea, of all things.

but who knows? something that works against even some cases will hopefully eventually lead to some kind of anti-retroviral treatment that works for nearly everyone.
Llydis

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 02:43:54 PM »

I think it comes down to the primordial reason for sex in general. People just make excuses why they don't engage in safe sex, like the condom feels restricting and all that stuff.
dmauro

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 03:55:07 PM »

You say that as if they aren't.
dhex

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 04:37:46 PM »

yeah i mean aids exists because bareback sex is absolutely fucking amazing.
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 11:48:39 AM »

Yup, pretty much!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: