Home Help Search Members Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Now The Everything, And Anything Related To Shin Megami Tensei Thread  (Read 45832 times)
isfet

View Profile
« on: July 17, 2009, 04:54:38 AM »

Ahhhhhhh new MegaTen!!!!

well

probably

http://www.siliconera.com/2009/07/16/atlus-teaser-site-reveals-shin-megami-tensei-strange-journey/

the whole South Pole imploding kind of screams "Eva" but that could be awesome.

based off the logo, this appears to be an entry into the main series (shin megami tensei), which is fucking awesome as Nocturne is the last one we got and it's been quite a few years now.

i mean i love Persona but i welcome the opportunity to roam an HD demon filled apocalypse again an leave high school behind for a while.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 03:59:20 AM by FortNinety » Logged
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 07:34:11 AM »

for the future of mankind, let’s do it!

Also, did you ever play Persona 4 Joe? I forget.
isfet

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 07:40:54 AM »

oh, of course, yea.  i think the only Persona game i don't own is...FES?  which i sort of wanted but found it hard to justify the purchase, especially when P4 was on the horizon.

i just didn't beat P4, is all.  beating RPGs is not something i generally do if they take longer than 30 hours.  which might make you say "what a waste!  why do you keep buying them, then?"

to which i'd say that 30 hours of fun is generally worth it to me.

but i'll get back to it.  right now i'm working on Devil Survivor which is just a really interesting mix of stuff.  in all actuality, DS is basically kind of a relaunch of the very first SMT game.  i.e. guy creates a demon summoning program on his computer, summons really big fucking demon, apocalypse occurs. 

now i haven't gotten to the part where the world ends, but all signs seem to point to this.

that's the one major difference, i think, between Persona and SMT.  Persona is very much an optimistic kind of series, in that you're trying to prevent bad things from happening while enjoying a beautiful sunshiney land filled with upbeat club music.

whereas in SMT, the world is already dead and you need to figure out what the fuck you're going to do.

anyway, they've hinted that the next entry into the main series would be for PS3 (though maybe multiplatform?) and i'm really hoping this is the case.  as good as their games look on PS2, i want to see this stuff in 1080p.
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 09:46:17 AM »

I'm willing to put down money for a PS3 at long last if Persona 5 is comfirmed for it, and all indications seem to point towards a yes. As for this game... Guess I'll wait and see. At the end of the day, I'm mostly just a Persona fan. Every other MegaTen title I've tried, which I will admit has been far and few between, simply have not clicked with me. Still drives me nuts that Devil Summoner, which sounded so awesome in concept, is just so low budget to a fault/boring.

Also sucks that ATOMU can't chime in on Devil Survivor, but she's already at Otakon (I'm on my way at this moment).
Llydis

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 01:15:14 PM »

This is interesting. I hope it'll be as imaginative as SMT3 in it's portrayal of a Japanese wasteland. Only taking more ideas from SMTO in not having that map screen you have to go into to go between places.

Now this is only raising more questions of when Persona 5 is going to happen.
isfet

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 04:29:58 PM »

as much of a "fanboy" as i am for this series, i think anyone who claims that the PS2 Devil Summoner games aren't much better in theory than in execution is lying to himself.

i certainly don't find them appalling, and the sequel that just came out is a LOT more tolerable to play, but they're definitely, as far as i can see, low-budget ideas that were made just as a sort of side project, i guess.  something that wasn't Persona but also something that wasn't going to take a huge amount of time and money to create.  so they play kind of like more competent budget games.  like if the EDF people decided to make an action RPG or something.

i'm sure, at this point, Persona 5 is inevitable.  i think it's easily been their most successful series both in Japan and in the West.

but i'm kind of curious what lessons and ideas they've learned from that and how they'll apply them to a game in the main series.  SMT tends to have more of a "hardcore" reputation, i guess, so i'm curious if they're going to try to cater to both sides with this one (assuming it IS an SMT game).

isfet

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 04:31:06 PM »

Llydis:  the map screen is so classic, though!

but i agree, JRPGs tend to feel a little more seamless when the world is huge but interconnected (thinking of something like Dragon Quest 8 here).
Llydis

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 04:46:24 PM »

Iunno, the map screen always seemed like a concession they couldn't do a first person RPG with a huge open world. Then the series went third person with SMT3...

Both Megaten and Dragon Quest do come from the same era of RPGs though, and both had made very little concessions compared to their contemporaries that are still running today. (Which is why  people who were introduced to the JRPG during the Playstation era cry about DQ's "archaic" obsession with the menus and difficulty. Thank goodness SMT isn't that much of a mainstream title over here either.)
ATOMU

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2009, 03:37:42 AM »

Oh, I totally nutted.

Kaneko better be doing the concept art for this! The optimistic taglines are cute, but are making me wonder about whether or not this properly counts as SMT4.  But I'm pretty sure if Atlus introduces ANOTHER SMT tangent before announcing SMT4 fans are going to start throwing tables through windows, myself included.

Also hoping Atlus confirms/denies Persona 5 soon, shoe-in or not. Considering how much closer P4's writing was to P2 I'm keeping my fingers crossed for more thin slicing of stupid bullshit and maybe a return to the more varied age range of protagonists P2 had. Or just more innuendo, more innuendo is fine.

Matt, have you touched Nocturne or Digital Devil Saga at all?
isfet

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2009, 08:28:09 AM »

ATOMU:  have you played the Innocent Sin translation?  it's pretty goddamned great.

i'm still hoping Soul Hackers will get patched but it appears the guy who was working on it finally got a life and has sort of stopped translating/hacking.

it's kind of hard to tell what this will be, yea, but i'm just betting on SMT4, as they don't generally whip out the SMT Kanji for just any games.

FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2009, 01:29:42 PM »

Mia/ATOMU: I have tested the waters of both Nocturne or Digital Devil Saga, but seriously not enough for either to leave much of an impression. Once I was finally finished with Persona 4 and Persona 3:FES yet again, I began sampling all the MegaTen titles, or at least the recent stuff, but none of them ever really took hold of me, but then again, I was a little burnt out by MegaTen in general. I guess Devil Summoner 2 was supposed to my grand ticket back into that work, which you're a big fan of, right? Again, I was really bummed out by the rough edges initially, but now that I find myself bored with my current console offerings, gonna give it another shot.

Though now that you mention them, will be re-visiting Nocturne and Digital Devil Saga once Pilot/Katie is done with the PS2, which she's been busy with... playing P4! Anything I should know beforehand?
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2009, 01:57:07 PM »

Also, please help me with my latest mental quandary, as outlined in the animu thread.
ATOMU

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2009, 11:29:48 PM »

isfet: i've yet to, mainly because playstation emulators hate my computer :| it burns me.

a soul hackers patch would be AWESOME, if just to play a megaten game with a pompadored protagonist.

matt: please do give them another shot! i'll have more to tell you when I get further in them but they're the more popular megaten titles for a reason. nocturne's atmosphere is incredible.
persona is kind of megaten's wildy successful redheaded stepchild, so the experience with the other titles is going to be different. persona is a commitment but the others are work. the payoff is usually worth it, though.

also i started dsrk2 hot on the heels of dsrk1 and let me tell you I just about wept at modifications made to the battle system. it's actually...it's actually FUN... i almost forgot what it was like to have fun playing a video game for a while there.
ATOMU

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2009, 11:32:40 PM »

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand the new game is for the DS, therefore not SMT4.
http://wiieveryday.blogspot.com/

...ethnic people though! ethnic people! and space!
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2009, 11:49:53 PM »

The artwork at the very least looks pretty interesting. It's Kazuma Kaneko, right? And you stated that he had better return to do concept art of P5... was he behind P3/4 as well? I know Shigenori Soejima handled the overall art design, and also the character illustrations, right?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to: