Home Help Search Members Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17
  Print  
Author Topic: Shmups on the 360  (Read 178579 times)
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2009, 11:31:40 PM »

Hey drozdal, hear about this yet?

http://kotaku.com/5319774/raiden-iv-release-powers-up-with-limited-edition

... Not the biggest fan of the series myself, but I've always heard that 4 was the best of the bunch. and those extras sound neat.
dmauro

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2009, 10:46:00 AM »

I think I played Raiden IV in the arcades once when I was in Japan. I do hear good things about it, so I might pick it up when it gets a domestic release if it isn't region encoded.
isfet

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2009, 10:48:23 AM »

i've never really played a Raiden game very extensively.  i'm sort of interested in buying this only for the vague and misguided idea that if i buy a shooter, more might be released here.
dmauro

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2009, 06:14:58 PM »

That always struck me as an awful reason to buy games, "supporting the genre." Especially when you consider all the shmups I hate, even some made by CAVE.

So I just came SO close to getting the ALL CLEAR 1cc in DeathSmiles with Death Mode (suicide bullets that show up when you choose Rank 3 for all the levels), and I netted myself ~ 145 million points in the process. I know I can beat this, in a few more runs I should be able to do it.
drozdal

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2009, 04:26:32 PM »

Hey drozdal, hear about this yet?

Nice, I took a week off the internetz (trip to europe) and this happened. Cheesy

I was waiting for UFO to announce US release of Raiden IV since 2008 (when the japanese version hit the market), Amazon has a pre-order page up and release date is set for Sept 8th. $40 for a port of 2 year old arcade game seems reasonable.
dmauro

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2009, 06:59:36 PM »

Also, this isn't surprising since everyone already expected it, but DeathSmiles 2 has been confirmed for the 360 as well. Too bad the game looks like shit. :/
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2009, 08:17:11 PM »

Quote from: dmauro
That always struck me as an awful reason to buy games, "supporting the genre."

How so? Not saying that people should buy stuff, just because, but if X sells well enough, that it will encourage certain publishers to release more stuff that's just like it. Sometimes. And yes, I realize that it doesn't always work that way.

Quote from: dmauro
Also, this isn't surprising since everyone already expected it, but DeathSmiles 2 has been confirmed for the 360 as well. Too bad the game looks like shit. :/

Again, how so?
drozdal

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2009, 10:24:53 PM »

I bought Raiden Fighter Aces partly because of nostalgia and partly because like isfet, I want to vote with my (allmighty) dollar on a genere that I'd love to see more on a console I own.

Destructoid posted a report about japanese shmups on 360 that they played at Otakon. We all know how cool Death Smiles is, but Mamoru-kun wa Norowarette shimatta from G.Rev looks at least interesting with it's control scheme that reminds me of Under Defeat and Otomedius - really pretty new installment in Parodious series.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 10:28:40 PM by drozdal » Logged
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2009, 10:49:43 PM »

Yeah, as noted in my own Otakon report, I really dug Mamoru-kun, since it felt like a cross between Pocky & Rocky and a Cave-like shmup.
dmauro

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2009, 08:09:38 AM »

We all know how cool Death Smiles is, but Mamoru-kun wa Norowarette shimatta from G.Rev looks at least interesting with it's control scheme that reminds me of Under Defeat
I would really like to try it out, but the thing is, G. Rev's stuff usually isn't my cup of tea. Even Under Defeat, which is my favorite of theirs, isn't something I can play over and over again. It's mostly just making me want to load up Guwange on the cab.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 07:38:44 PM by dmauro » Logged
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2009, 07:34:48 PM »

For those who missed it, there's a doujin shump available on the 360, under the re-branded Indie Games section, called Crescendo Symphony. But it totally blows and really isn't worth the bother (though at least you can nab it, along with some visual novel by the same author, which I can't make heads or tails about).
drozdal

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2009, 08:38:24 PM »

Anyone else is waiting for Duality ZF? Looks like a steal for 400 Microsoft Points ($5 USD). Out (probably) this summer.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 08:45:16 PM by drozdal » Logged
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2009, 08:46:34 PM »

Looks like a ton of fun, but man, that art style is kinda yeesh.
dmauro

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2009, 09:03:37 PM »

One of the two guys that is making it posts on the shmups forums. I'm actually responsible for the name of the caravan mode being "Score Rush", at least if it ends up being called that in the final product. This thing was supposed to come out back in April and just keeps getting pushed back. The art style is kind of awful, I actually asked the guy if he was looking for an artist, but the game looks sort of cool. Not my thing exactly, but they're really trying to make a fun game and have some idea about what you need to make a shmup fun.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 09:05:41 PM by dmauro » Logged
drozdal

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2009, 11:58:00 PM »

Duality ZF art style reminds me of Radilgy on Dreamcast, that game also looked like no other shmup back in the day. But what won me over is Dualiti's unusual (for a shooting game) choice of horizontal game plane (seen also in Mars Matrix / GigaWing), that nowdays, when almost everyone has widescreen TV, makes perfect sense.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17
  Print  

Jump to: