Home Help Search Members Register
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: collectors mentality vs city living  (Read 5259 times)
NeoRockman

View Profile
« on: July 24, 2010, 04:21:06 PM »

Hey guys, first post, good to be here

I have a question for all you fellow New Yorkers-- how the heck to you store all your games and such?  We all know space in the city is a premium, but unfortunately collecting games/anime/etc. can be a bit of a space intensive hobby...especially when you get into multi-system/tv setups.  So I wanted to put it out there, how do all you collectors store your stuff?  Let it all hang out?  Tuck it neatly away on shelves?

As for me, I'm lucky enough to have a pretty big space out in BK, but not much shelving so it ends up getting all crammed up in my room or hidden away in boxes in our lofted storage.  Plus, not sure if my roommates would want to see the pile of Sega Saturns that I keep telling myself I'm going to fix oneday just sitting out in our living area..

So tell me, how do you do it? (good/bad example pics are welcome)
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 03:51:37 AM »

Welcome aboard NeoRockman! Hope to see you here often (which might be asking a bit much, considering how dead this place has been... you'd think that everyone being out of work would mean there would be more activity, but it's the opposite as everyone works on individual projects). But anyhow...

Coming up with a decent set-up is pretty much everyone's struggle here in NYC, regardless of their specific interests. I myself will fiddle with my set-up almost once every six months, and the end result is the same: I've gained just a little bit more space, but if I were to go out and get six more 360 games, I'm back to my original problem of zero shelf space left.

I generally go with Ikea as my storage and display solution, cuz it's pretty modular, primarily their LACK series. I have a small LACK bookcase that I never bothered to put the back on, which us basically my console area. Right next to it is a full-sized bookcase where all the games live, and along with the LACK tv stand, I have a nice presentation space that didn't cost and arm or a leg.

Because I deal with so much "legacy hardware, I have a CRT display and flat-out do not have room for a fancy LCD (nor the $$$). To be honest, having so little space is a blessing, cuz it forces me to really think about all my purchases. I love going through posts on figure.fm, of folks and their obnoxiously large figure collections; i's better that I flat out don't have the room for a glass display for gigantic, master grade Gundam.
dmauro

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 02:20:40 PM »

Steam helps with this. I also just try not to buy too many games. But I've got a small bookcase that holds movies and games and that seems to do it for me. All my consoles are crammed into the arcade cabs which sit in the kitchen without looking like an eyesore. Of course inside they are a mess, but no one sees that but me Smiley
NeoRockman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 09:22:41 PM »

Yeah, I'm really interested how folks approach collecting/gaming out here.  I moved here a couple years ago from a more suburban area and the mindset seems totally different.  Instead of the focus being on collecting/hoarding + must-have-giant-tv/gameroom, it seems a little more actual gaming-oriented? Kind of interesting.

I could be wrong though, as I haven't had the chance to do much collecting or gaming since arriving here sadly--trying to make that change though.

ps- anybody been to the 'new' retro gaming place on St. Marks? I went to it today, it's called '8 bit and Up' and I'm pretty sure its the rebirth of the Play N Trade that used to be nearby.. of course everything is priced like it is made out of gold, but the raw space they occupy could have potential to become a nice spot of sorts.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: