Home Help Search Members Register
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: stock market hypothetical  (Read 4557 times)
dhex

View Profile WWW Email
« on: June 18, 2010, 11:07:35 PM »

when does bp become a good buy? could it?

it's hovering around 30/share now. (for context, it was around 60 in mid april) it paid dividends in the past, but it looks like they're going to suspend them.

obviously socially responsible investing practices aka losing money don't apply for this particular hypothetical scenario.

i think if it hit 12/share i would drop a few hundred shares. or i'd be sorely tempted, dividends or not. two years from now they'll be back up past 80, barring some kind of serious disaster.
dark steve

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 10:51:49 AM »

depends on if you buy into this: http://www.theoildrum.com/node/6593/648967
dhex

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 09:28:25 PM »

yeah but bp also owns a shitton of assets. even if they were government buttfucked in the manner of your stereotypical npr liberal's wet dreams, they'd still have thos assets to sell.

even exxon's flows 24 months out of valdez were trending as you'd expect in that sector.

on the other hand bp does seem to have the safety record of a pedophile running a day care center.
Fitz

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 11:48:31 PM »

For the most part I think they will rebound from this.  There may be some game playing in terms of their assets but too much of their stock basis is connected with British retirement funds for the entire company to be allowed to collapse. The 12 buy in seems like a reasonable move, but if they do get that low don't be surprised if it goes as low as 9 before heading back up.

I doubt they'll have the backbone to do it but this incident would be a perfect time for them to start trying to implement that "We're an Energy provider not an Oil Company" switch that was begun under John Browne. Browne was kind of a wackjob in many ways but he was on the right track as far as what a company like BP will need to become across the century.

FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 12:58:46 AM »

Quote from: Fitz
I doubt they'll have the backbone to do it but this incident would be a perfect time for them to start trying to implement that "We're an Energy provider not an Oil Company" switch that was begun under John Browne.

Yeah, I have to quietly chuckle at those who believe this spill will finally make people realize that things need to change, cuz as awesome as it would be, it's still clearly not enough. I get the sense it's near the very end of people giving a shit, like most world crisises.

I've already seen one commercial for Florida that states "have no fear, the oil hasn't reach our beaches yet!"
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: