Home Help Search Members Register
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: from the too stupid to live files  (Read 2467 times)
dhex

View Profile WWW Email
« on: May 31, 2010, 10:28:41 AM »

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/29/your-money/student-loans/29money.html?pagewanted=1&ref=general&src=me

if you don't know that 60k is a big number, you're a fucking idiot. i'm left without any real recourse here beyond a weird kind of shrug-flinch.

But perhaps the biggest share lies with colleges and universities because they have the most knowledge of the financial aid process. And I would argue that they had an obligation to counsel students like Ms. Munna, who got in too far over their heads.

imagine a world in which nyu calls up students in their african american studies or women's studies department to tell them they're taking on too much debt for their degree profile. give me a minute to make popcorn first.

i don't entirely disagree with the house of cards angle, mind you, because if they can't use a calculator or do BASIC FUCKING ARITHMETIC, it is truly a house of sand build by the sea, etc etc and so forth. but i'm sure that we'll see a student debt nationalization program in the next five to ten years, depending on severity, because the alternative - letting lenders, students and institutions pay for their dumbness - is politically unthinkable.

“I don’t want to spend the rest of my life slaving away to pay for an education I got for four years and would happily give back,” she said. “It feels wrong to me.”

fuck you, too, idiot.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: