Home Help Search Members Register
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: LOL Gawker Media  (Read 10926 times)
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« on: April 20, 2010, 03:05:58 PM »

Was gonna toss this in the random blogs thread, but whatever...

http://gizmodo.com/5520438/how-apple-lost-the-next-iphone

... Not sure why this bugs the shit out of me. Actually, I do know: Gawker basically runs the web these days, and this by far is the most annoying example.

For those who don't want to bother with the link, it breaks down like this: poor Apple employee loses a valuable piece of tech, which eventually lands in the hands of someone else, who then sells the tech, which in this case is the iPhone 4, to Gawker for $5,000. So as if buying stolen goods isn't bad enough, along with all the easy hits that comes out their "exclusive", they then feel the need to needless point and laugh at the original Apple employee and divulging his personal identity. What assholes.

And while its true that checkbook journalism has always been around, I guess the unabashedness of it all is what bothers me so much. That and the aforementioned pointing and laughing at someone whose mistake their already profiting from.

You speak to virtually any journalist these days, and they're going to say the same thing: they can't stand Gawker. Hence why this was passed along to me by more than a few people just today alone...

http://gamejournos.tumblr.com/
dmauro

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 04:02:52 PM »

is Gizmondo an offshoot of Gawker?
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 04:13:39 PM »

It's the tech portion of the network, yes.
dmauro

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 04:42:59 PM »

Quote from: minimal mac
One day, when I was 8 years old, I found a twenty dollar bill on a city bus. My Grandmother’s house, where I spent more than a few days every week, was at the beginning of a bus route. It was not uncommon, when boarding the bus, I was one only one on. That day, I had just boarded and paid my fare and, on the way to seeking out my usual seat, I saw it. As I remember it, it was the most money I had ever held in my hand at the time. I was, at least for a few seconds, somewhat in awe of it.

Even still, I knew what to do. I walked back up the aisle to the Driver, stretched out my arm with bill firmly grasped betwixt my fingers and said, “Excuse me, mister. I think someone lost this”

The Driver looked down at it, smiled, and said, “That’s very honorable of you kid. But, you know, all money looks the same. I have a lot of people on each ride. Even if I wanted to, there’s no way I could find out who’s it is… Go ahead and keep it. It’s yours now.”

I stood there, a little stunned.

“Go ahead kid. Really, it’s yours.”

I walked back to my seat solemnly. Of course, my first thoughts were to what I could do with that much money. The candy I could buy. The toys. The comics.

Then, not much more than a moment later, I started to think about what the person who lost it was going to do with that money before they lost it. Maybe they really needed it. Maybe it was a single mom, like mine, struggling to make ends meet. To whom twenty dollars represented two days worth of food (perhaps even three if you stretched it right).

Yes, eight year old me really did think about such things because I lived them. I thought about those things because my Grandmother, the daughter of a preacher and sister of a bishop, taught me that is how you treat people – the way you would want to be treated. And, if I lost a twenty, I would want someone to find me, by what ever means necessary, and give it back.

It was a very long time before I broke down and finally spent that twenty. I still feel guilty about it to this day.

In case you had not heard, it was a very sad day on the internet today. I won’t go into details or link to any of them because, to repeat them, in my mind, would make me just as guilty. Suffice to say that someone lost something important, someone else found it, that someone then sold it to another party that decided to not only plaster it all over the internet, but also name and shame the person who lost it. Potentially destroying his name and career for good…

Not what we believe in (and if you do believe in such a thing, please stop reading, unsubscribe, and never return. Seriously.)

I don’t pretend to be a journalist. I have never been invited to any event and provided with credentials that may label me as such. I don’t consider what I do here “blogging” and, therefore, for these purposes, I’m not a blogger. I only recently had to admit to being a writer because of a gig I was honored to be asked to do (and, thankfully to the reader, that gig comes with an Editor).

The role I perform here, and the title I assume is “Curator”. I want to find interesting items that fall under a specific topic area and gather them together with some commentary that will hopefully provide both interest and context and cause you to investigate further. Sometimes, and only sometimes, those items may be original to this site.

That said, here is my pledge to you:

Anything I provide here I will have found through only the most ethical means and with great care and concern for my visitors time and attention.

There is nothing more important than item No. 1.

As reprehensible as their actions may or may not be, I thought this guy's framing of the situation was pretty damn funny. I had no idea this is where he was going with that anecdote, so I got a laugh out of it.
drozdal

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 07:05:23 PM »

I find it really hard to believe that there are people walking around with iphone prototypes in their pockets. Stuff like that is always being handled behind closed doors. Of course there are idiots who will bring secrets outside, but those idiots will get sued bad after company finds out about it (because they all have signed confidentiality agreement and at the same time are damaging the company by revealing it's secrets).

There are two things that might have happened - either this dude really lost this phone while he was at the bar (and if he gets fired / sued soon then we will know that it was the case), or it's all an orchestrated marketing stunt aimed at creating buzz about the new piece of technology.

Does anyone remembers the story of Chinese Apple engineer who lost prototype of the iphone last year and killed himself? They better put that guy on suicide watch...
The Drunken Samurai

TDS21o3
View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 01:17:59 AM »

first question that came to my mind when i head this story was,"couldnt they have gotten more than five grand for this?" but i guess tech stuff isnt as high up there as first photos of celebrities babies.
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 02:46:17 AM »

Re: the Minimal Mac post, all I can say is when delusional Mac blogs are able to call you out for shenanigans, you have most definitely fucked up.

As for the theory that this might be some marketing stunt, it honestly makes no sense, since Apple has absolutely no need to resort to such tactics. If this was some other company, or if the iPhone wasn't the hottest phone at the moment, the story would be different.

Also, back to Kotaku, lol at them pulling out the journalistic integrity card on a week like this...

http://kotaku.com/5520937/do-not-trust-this-magazines-review-scores
drozdal

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 11:08:26 AM »

Also, back to Kotaku, lol at them pulling out the journalistic integrity card on a week like this...

http://kotaku.com/5520937/do-not-trust-this-magazines-review-scores
You have to generate page hits somehow, right? Best way to fuel the fires is to have people argue in comments. Wink
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 02:34:40 PM »

http://daringfireball.net/2010/04/gizmodo_prototype_iphone

... Pretty much sums everything, nice and tightly. And somewhat irrelevant to the topic, and more appropriate for the "LOL Kotaku" thread, but since I'm here already...

http://gamejournos.tumblr.com/post/538815485/the-first-item-listed-in-kotakus-five-fresh-moves

... Glad someone else caught that as well.
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2010, 12:24:13 AM »

Hey, how come no mention of them officially being investigated by the police over at Gizmodo? Their coverage of iPhone 4 over already? lol
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2010, 11:25:00 AM »

For those who have not been keeping track...

http://gizmodo.com/5524843/police-seize-jason-chens-computers (no comments allowed, lol)

http://www.tuaw.com/2010/04/26/gizmodo-editors-house-searched-by-police-last-friday/

http://www.cultofmac.com/gawker-says-seizure-of-editors-computers-is-illegal-cites-ogrady/40189

... I especially love the note from mommy. Also, I love how all the other nickel and dime bloggers out there are rallying around the Giz cuz they feel that "it's the good of us all." Give me a break; laws to protect journalists are fine, so long as they don't break the law themselves. I also find all the conspiracy theories, i.e. Apple put the cops up to it, hilarious.
drozdal

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2010, 11:43:41 AM »

As usual comments are hilarious (this is quoted from under the article in NYT):

Anything Jason Chen did was in the service of journalism; that much is patently obvious. Gizmodo was publishing information - however abrasively - about upcoming tech products. Trade secrets are only secrets as long as the owners keep them secret - quite unlike copyright, patents, etc.

Also - this.
dhex

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2010, 11:45:59 AM »

actually, they're right about the shield laws and the seizure of his computers. not a lawyer, but cali law is pretty strong on that front. definitely overkill.

that wouldn't necessarily protect the receiving stolen goods end of things if charges were filed in that direction, but it would prevent the police from forcing him to divulge whom they sourced it from.
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2010, 02:39:22 PM »

Quote from: Nick Denton, guy who runs Gawker
"We don't seek to do good," says Denton, wearing a purplish shirt, jeans and a beard that resembles a three-day growth. "We may inadvertently do good. We may inadvertently commit journalism. That is not the institutional intention."

... Everyone says that quote above will be his undoing, but I hardly see how it has any legal ramifications to the matter at hand, though it certainly cements the douchebaggery his firm is known for. From this btw...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/06/21/AR2009062101822.html

... I've actually been to the Gawker office and that lone pic does do a good job in spelling out what a dismal work environment is. Anyhow, a good run down of the latest developments...

http://www.pcworld.com/article/195053/police_raid_gizmodo_editors_home_the_fallout_continues.html

... I just hate anyone from Gawker being considered a journalist (ESPECIALLY anyone from Gizmodo), along with their "we're just journalists out to seek the truth" attitude, given their penchant for tabloid journalism, their complete disregard for verifying facts, or their overall piss-poor attitude towards whom they target and nonsensical reasons behind it (if I was that poor Apple employee that lost the phone, I would countersue for harassment or something similar, and btw, last I heard, he still had his job there).

I suppose one ironic thing is how Giz's unabashed love for all things Apple made us normal users embarrassed to say the least, like their highly uncomfortable iPad review.
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2010, 03:46:23 PM »

Uh oh...

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-20003539-37.html
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: