Home Help Search Members Register
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ATTN dhex: Yay Or Nay For Free Health Care?  (Read 6576 times)
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« on: March 21, 2010, 11:31:51 PM »

Was gonna ask the following in the political thread, but since its such a big deal, I suppose it warrants a mention here: the stupid thing finally passed, hooray?

I've only begun to do my homework as to what the bill actually does and mean in the end. Though speaking as someone who could certainly use coverage these days, and despite the feeling that free health care for all certainly sounds nice on paper, I'm fairly certain that what we actually end up will probably blow. Unwarranted fear?

... Though despite my relative unfamiliarity with the subject at hand, I already know its been severely gimped. But I guess getting rid of abortion was what got it greenlit in the first place. I also think it was retarded for Obama to not concentrate on directly generating jobs instead of health care, but at least this wasn't as stupid as the cash for clunker fiasco...

But what say you Mike, who actually works in a hospital and (I'm assuming) knows more about the subject, perhaps due to perspective, than myself and the laymen? Will it actually help the people or is this simply a governmental restructuring of insurance, nothing more, nothing less?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 11:33:50 PM by FortNinety » Logged
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 11:35:30 PM »

Once again, sucks to be a dame in America...

http://www.now.org/press/03-10/03-21b.html

... And yes, it's from NOW, and absolutely everything they have to say has to be taken with a grain of salt. Or perhaps five packet's worth. Still, unless they are flat out lying, that totally blows.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 11:38:53 PM by FortNinety » Logged
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 02:38:45 PM »

lol LiveJournal...

http://jlh.livejournal.com/551303.html

I’m not sure that all this heightened awareness about all the deal trading that went into HCR is a good thing for everyone to know in such detail.
dhex

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 02:49:06 PM »

this is a pretty good rundown:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/03/19/politics/main6314410.shtml

the big change will be the insurance requirements, a la massachusetts - either you're insured (or exempt due to income) or you pay a fine. that's the carrot for the insurance companies, compared with the stick of not being able to exclude coverage based on preexisting conditions. (this particular carrot is why you get folks like michael moore or chomsky speaking against the plan, fwiw)

the other big change is the expansion of medicare benefits to a much larger group of people, including single non-senior adults.

on the hospital side, beyond doctors worried about payouts continuing to shrink and small healthcare clinics worried about mandates to provide comprehensive coverage, there's not going to be that many changes. in theory, less uninsured means less eating of costs at the ER, but that's going to depend on how each state's pool behaves and how many people jump on the medicare train. (medicare is known for being slow to reimburse) in some places, like manhattan, you'll see more doctors who refuse to take any insurance, and negotiate with each patient over costs instead, though probably not a significant amount.

the real issue, as i see it, is that the one thing that continues to drive healthcare costs - the hiding of expenditures from people through employer insurance and the reimbursement cycle that encourages waste from providers and consumers and the shell game that insurance companies now play with approvals - is not going to be addressed. if anything, the idea of healthcare as a right is going to make care denials, deserved or not, even more difficult. at some point in every medical history, of course, care must be denied because free is never really free.*

we got neither a british (worst case) nor french (best case) reform; we got, instead, an extension of the status quo. this will probably set the stage for a single-payer or at least government option system in the next five to ten years, depending on how badly things go and what expectations were going into it.

* as you see from the now release about pricing based on age. imagine complaints about car insurance companies charging people with ten accidents on their record higher premiums as those with none. does that even begin to make a lick of sense?
drozdal

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 10:39:23 PM »

It seems like according to the health care reform bill my girlfriend is not poor enough to be eligible for discounted rates and she will get hit with 96$ of fines (for not having a insurance) first year and 695$ each following year.

I guess someone has to subsidize people earning less (in this case about 2K) than you per year.

Now she has a choice of getting insurance thru her workplace and not being able to afford anything past food, rent and utilities every month, or having a little extra cash on hand each week and having to pay close to 700$ a year in fines for this privilege.
dhex

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 10:41:00 PM »

well, yes.

but keep in mind we haven't seen what the final final will be. just like the whole "cadillac plan" thing is probably going to be jettisoned, we may see/hope for some adjustments to the penalties involved.
dhex

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 01:34:58 PM »

some of the HSA changes are shitty if you're into those, too.
dhex

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 07:38:44 PM »

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politics/2010/0320/Health-care-reform-bill-101-Who-gets-subsidized-insurance
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: