Home Help Search Members Register
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: well, it made *me* laugh.  (Read 4541 times)
dhex

View Profile WWW Email
« on: March 16, 2010, 08:15:28 PM »

http://www.salon.com/life/pinched/2010/03/15/hipsters_food_stamps_pinched/index.html

"At first, I thought, 'Why should I be on food stamps?'" said Magida, digging into her dinner. "Here I am, this educated person who went to art school..."
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 11:33:43 PM »

I think that guy who claims to be a foodie should have his privileges revoked, on principle alone. Just saying.

Anyhow, as I blow through the last of my unemployment (I'm after so many extensions, I'm hardly shocked that there's nothing left, nor am I bitter and the like), I will be doing research to see if I qualify. And there is nothing wrong with living off of ramen, so long as you don't stick to just Nissin.
dmauro

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 12:37:07 AM »

Choice quote. I was surprised recently to hear that some friends of mine were using food stamps. I mean here they are, educated people with liberal arts degrees...
dhex

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 07:36:25 PM »

the funny haw haw hmmm bit is the whole "but i went to colleggggeeee!" whining. similar to the stories about people who went 6 figs into debt for cultural studies degrees from top flight colleges that cropped up a few years back when federal student loan forgiveness was a bigger cause than it is now.
dmauro

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 09:30:43 PM »

I also like it because when you go for an art degree you kind of prep yourself for poverty. Perhaps she's confusing her surprise at her potential for poverty with her eligibility for food stamps due to new regulations?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: