Home Help Search Members Register
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15
  Print  
Author Topic: LET'S MOVIE  (Read 150535 times)
isfet

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2009, 04:00:21 PM »

I dunno, I don't mind Leonardo so much. I thought Catch Me If You Can was a pretty good film, despite appearing to be a movie I would normally avoid.

Also, caught Basterds at a noon matinee yeterday and really enjoyed it. it came off sort of like Jackie Brown to me, in that it shows some restraint, but in a good way. Some parts are totally off the wall, but somehow none of it is totaly absurd (even if it really is).
pilot

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2009, 06:39:55 PM »

Departed is terrible Sad
dark steve

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2009, 10:22:20 PM »

I am so in the flesh right now
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2009, 10:37:30 PM »

I guess it's worth noting that I sat by a complete fucking Long Guyland guidette who was a complete fucking imbecile. Aside from going ew everything there was blood, she was completely confused by the ending, since it wasn't entirely historically accurate.

Okay, I can understand how someone might be shocked if they didn't know going in that the movie re-envisions history... and if they started watching half-way through. But it should have been evident in the first 15 minutes. What a dumbass.
loopback

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2009, 11:14:48 PM »

I absolutely hated inglorious basterds.  It was too long, took too much time to go too short a distance, and was ultimately not interesting.  The "tension" pieces went on for so long they went from 'tense' to 'hurry the fuck up and get on with the movie you shitheaps' for me.

Tarantino needs to have someone cuff him upside the head and remind him he's really good at the sophomoric setpiece with lots of bombast, but he absolutely sucks rotten moose wang at doing any kind of long-plot-arc work.

There were great 2-3 minute bits at varying places in the movie, but the 'story' was shit, the 'meaning' behind the movie was shit, the action was crap, and the internal consistency was comical at points.

Seriously, someone put it into his contract that his next movie has to be 90 minutes. That's about the range he's capable of doing a movie that might be worth watching.  And when the most recent Rambo movie has more depth to it than your movie ... it's time to go ask Steven Seagal what his asking price is for doing a movie with you.
loopback

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2009, 11:15:16 PM »

PS - i didn't like the movie much.
dhex

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2009, 01:14:59 PM »

if i was going to rehabilitate segal's career tarantino is exactly the guy i'd use to do it.

speaking of dicaprio http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_Eclipse_(film)

it's very good.
pilot

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2009, 09:26:51 AM »

JCVD was awesome Mike, by the way!
dmauro

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2009, 04:14:34 PM »

I saw Inglourious Basterds yesterday. It was pretty much fucking amazing. There was one chapter that dragged on a little too much for my taste, but that didn't stop me from agreeing with Tarantino/Aldo about this being his masterpiece. It's weird to see a Tarantino movie that is allegorical when he's been doing such straight-forward stuff, but it turns out he's great at it. He turns the whole thing into a story about Jewish revenge and the film industry/propaganda and how the black man's plight is somehow sympathetic to the Jewish plight. And he turns all the important/interesting points into really snappy jokes (ie. "Am I the story of the black man? No? Then I must be King Kong"). I'm going to have to see it again because there are some points I'm not entirely clear on (did Hans kill von Hammersmark because she was a traitor, or because she was playing both sides, or for some other reason?).

Check it out!
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #54 on: August 24, 2009, 04:41:54 PM »

Let me know when you do want to see it again. With the exception of House, which doesn't really count since it was part of a niche film festival, I can't recall the last time I saw a movie in the theaters more than once.
isfet

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2009, 05:15:11 PM »

count me in, too!
pilot

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2009, 06:01:02 PM »

I also loved it. My only beefs with the movie [BEWARE O' SPOILERS]:

1. Wish the Hans/Shoshanna relationship would have been fleshed out more (He obviously recognizes her because he orders her milk, right? Why doesn't her pursue her further?)
2. Was disappointed that Tarantino re-used the same Morricone music from Kill Bill
3. No Red Apple cigarettes
dmauro

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2009, 07:02:08 PM »

1. Wish the Hans/Shoshanna relationship would have been fleshed out more (He obviously recognizes her because he orders her milk, right? Why doesn't her pursue her further?)
Within the diegesis of the film, it sort of makes sense. He is in it for the hunt, and I think that maybe the only reason he killed vonHammersmark is because she asked "well what now?" thus ending the game. I'm not sure what their relationship means to the metanarrative though, maybe nothing. :/
The Drunken Samurai

TDS21o3
View Profile Email
« Reply #58 on: August 24, 2009, 11:48:37 PM »

2. Was disappointed that Tarantino re-used the same Morricone music from Kill Bill

i get the impression those songs were originally intended for this. quentin was on charlie rose and he said there were some qualities of shoshanna that he took out and put in the bride. perhaps he kept the same songs because he was stubborn or didnt think many would notice.

3. No Red Apple cigarettes

morleys are the better fake brand anyways
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #59 on: August 25, 2009, 02:08:08 AM »

Quote from: The Drunken Samurai
morleys are the better fake brand anyways

The truth.

Not to change the subject, but... Bobcat Goldthwait is a director now?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ8RRHNpK1Y

... I've actually heard really good things about this movie.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15
  Print  

Jump to: