Home Help Search Members Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15
  Print  
Author Topic: LET'S MOVIE  (Read 89739 times)
isfet

View Profile
« on: July 12, 2009, 03:44:09 PM »

so what movies have we been watching lately?

"House" is probably the best thing i've seen in the past few weeks, but Matt can cover that better than i, for sure.

i saw "Bruno" last night and have some mixed thoughts about the film as a whole.

to begin with, i'm not entirely sure what everyone's opinion here of Sascha Cohen is, so i'm not sure if this film is even on anyone's radar.  but for those who are interested, read on!

it's not as funny as the TV show or the Borat film released not too long ago, but...well, the reasons as to why i don't think it's as funny i'm still attempting to articulate in my mind.  basically, Borat's strengths (if you want to call them that) were in how it showed hypocrisy and bigotry by using a hypocritical bigot that put people at ease enough to say what was on their minds.  Bruno attempts to go for the same type of thing, but seems to forget that some of the funniest parts of Borat were in how people reacted to Borat, not necessarily what Borat did.

i think the topic of homophobia around the globe is definitely important and absolutely worth examining, but Bruno tends to go for a cheap or shocking laugh more often than it challenges the people interviewed by Cohen.

there are certainly instances of people reacting negatively to Bruno simply because he "appears" gay, but more often than not, people are generally reacting to what essentially comes down to sexual assault.  the following will be "spoilers" for those who don't want any of the jokes ruined, but here are examples i can think of off the top of my head:

- Cohen dropping his pants in an attempt to seduce Ron Paul and create a sex tape.  hilarious in its own right, but Paul's reaction to Cohen isn't necessarily unjustified (though his word choices to describe Bruno leave a little to be desired)

- Cohen going out camping/hunting with a group of what most people would refer to as "rednecks."  at one point around 3am during the camp out, he attempts to crawl into a hunter's tent while completely naked.

the whole movie is not like this.  there are absolutely moments in the movie where people "freak out" but would not have freaked out if what was being portrayed were a heterosexual act, but any "messages" in Bruno, i feel, get obscured by some of the outright silliness.

in terms of being funny, it succeeds, but it doesn't necessarily create the same sense of dread about Americans as Borat did.

Edit:  one more thing, then i'll shut up about this.  the movie also could have done a better job of setting up some of the skits.  due to various news reports throughout the year, i was aware of a lot of what was coming in this film, but the movie makes little attempt to contextualize some of these things.  for example, the MMA match that was set up towards the end of the film.  it's kind of important to note that the whole audience that's watching the match was invited under these circumstances:  admission to the event was free, t-shirts and beer were supplied freely to the audience at the event and everyone was under the impression that it was going to be a brutal, MMA cage match.  while the movie audience can basically figure this out their own, it would have made more sense if some of the prep for the show were shown before the actual skit.  as it is, it appears to come out of nowhere.

it sounds like i must hate the film.  i don't; it just isn't great.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 03:59:07 PM by isfet » Logged
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 10:39:52 PM »

Yeah, House is easily the best film I've seen all year and indeed a truly magical thing. It's so difficult to describe the thing accurately, you just have to experience it for yourself as extremely trite and cliched as it sounds... I'm really hoping for a Criterion release in the sometime future. For those who aren't patient, there is a torrent out there, and the video quality is actually not that bad, but the translation absolutely blows (plus it fills up like 40% of the picture, which is annoying to say the least).

As for Bruno, sucks to hear its not the homerun hit that I was hoping/expecting it would be, but I'll still check it out.
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 01:13:15 AM »

Isfet just now got me all excited when he said "Seth Rogen RIP". Not sure what that was about; he was simply quoting somebody... I refuse to use the term "ReTweet" btw, since that is beyond gay.

Speaking of, am I the only one who finds the movie poster for Funny People to be one of the douchiest things out there? I keep hearing that Knocked Up and 40 Year Old Virgin are actually great movies. Guess I should also include Forgetting Sarah Marshall, since it's semi-related. I also hear that 9/11 was an inside job.

The Drunken Samurai

TDS21o3
View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 09:08:58 AM »

rogen should just stick to writing,that one episode of freak and geeks where he finds out his girlfriend is a hermaphrodite proves this
dmauro

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 12:40:11 PM »

Thanks for the frame, Fort!
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 12:57:24 PM »

Hey, that looks awesome!

Long story short: dmauro came over last night to play some games, and was talking about the autographed TGP poster he got at Tokyo Gore Night (as chronicled here), and when I asked if he was going to get it framed, I casually offered my old Fallen Angels poster, which I've just grown tired off over the years, and have been trying to get rid off for some time now. Was wondering if it was at all possible to actually use it... Dave, did you have to affix the new print to the back or is it just laying there loose? Anyhow, the over-sized black with red bleed really works out well.

Now that I have the extra room space, time to get the poster to this wacky Korean high school comedy movie framed, which I too got at the NYAFF some time ago (has seriously the cutest/hottest Korean girl in the world on it, and this again from a dude that doesn't dig Asian chicks).
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 01:35:31 PM by FortNinety » Logged
dmauro

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 01:47:20 PM »

Yeah it's just sitting on top of the Fallen Angels poster loosely. It's perfectly in place over the fallen angels poster, but once I put it up I realized the Fallen Angels poster is slightly crooked. It looks awesome though.
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 07:50:56 PM »

So tomorrow night is a midnight screening of Harry Potter 6 with dmauro! Who else wants in!

EDIT: Wait a minute, now it might be Wednesday night, which I can't do. Damnit.
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 01:36:14 PM »

So dmauro and I actually saw Harry Potter 6 last night! Though everyone will have to head on over to the Secret Chamber for the goods. Sorry.
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 02:02:21 PM »

BTW, I have long expressed a strong desire not to see Transformers 2, but each person that I've spoken to that's seen it... and hate it... makes me want to check it out even more so.

I already know about the "black" and "Latio" robots, with the gold teeth and the constant sleeping on the job and the inability to read and the monkey faces, but now I hear that's a guido transformer as well? Plus now I understand that Optimus at the end sprouts wings and carries a sword, making him effectively a Gundam Wing character. What?
dmauro

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2009, 11:19:36 AM »

TMNT IV?! Maybe I should go in for the casting call...
The Drunken Samurai

TDS21o3
View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2009, 02:16:34 PM »

judging from the total of three villains i've heard of being in iron man 2, im worried that this will be another spiderman 3.

also! i just filled out a survey at the auteurs and got five dollars for free posted to my account. recommend me something. preferrably something i havent seen before.
Fitz

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2009, 05:29:39 PM »

Plus now I understand that Optimus at the end sprouts wings and carries a sword, making him effectively a Gundam Wing character. What?

It is a call back to the more recent Transformers series, specifically Transformers: Armada where Prime and Jefire would periodically merge into a mega-transformer.

The magic dust in a sock plot device is much funnier.
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2009, 06:22:27 PM »

Fitz, you follow Transformers?
dmauro

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2009, 10:40:35 AM »

My roommates (one who is a big fan of the books, and the other only following the movies) saw the new Harry Potter Friday night and the former was disappointed and the latter hated it. I offered up my list of grievances (without even getting into the nitty gritty stuff like how Harry's nose should have either completely spurted blood, or a little should have trickled out after he got kicked in the face by Draco on the train), and they were in total agreement.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15
  Print  

Jump to: