Home Help Search Members Register
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Just Another dmauro Halo Thread  (Read 47423 times)
dmauro

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2009, 05:15:53 PM »

My roommate and I decided that whoever is modeling the faces at Bungie must be a founding member and that's why that didn't replace him ages ago. The Halo games usually have really nice stories because of Cortana. The story takes a big hit without her. This one doesn't really have a story, that is to say it's not adding anything. It's the fight for New Mombassa which was just something you saw happening mostly in the background in Halo 2.
loopback

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2009, 02:55:50 PM »

So I'm not a halo fan at all, but I decided to pick up ODST and give it a whirl.

I'm not ready to hate it yet, but after a couple of hours of playtime, I am finding a lot of the levels & the design choices really suspect and kind of irritating.

First is their apparent desire to go for 'ambience' in the campaign in the first bit, where everything is PITCH FUCKING BLACK. Nothing says "this is a great current-gen console experience" like not being able to see anything.

And then in the next area? everything is blown out and overly-lit.

So in both areas I have to turn the visor thing on in order to have the game be even vaguely playable. If they're going to make the environment so shitty, why not just leave the visor on all the time? This is akin to the Arkham Asylum problem of "stay in investigation mode all the time", except  in Arkham Asylum you could turn the mode off and still SEE THINGS.

My other complaint so far is that playing a FPS from the context of being in a very limited field-of-view helmet is ... not very fun so far. combined with enemies that see you from across the map but who blend in with the environment so the only way to find them is to follow the trail of bullets, it makes for less than compelling gameplay so far.

I'm going to keep going with it for a bit, but this is not exactly winning me over to the idea that the Halo titles are really any good.  But I'll say one thing: that live action ODST commercial is pretty stellar. If the game played half as fun as that commercial looked, it would be amazing.

Also ultra-boo to the designers who set up a level where 'some' doors are openable, but all doors look the same. that's not the least bit frustrating. "Go in that building and flank them!"  (looks at doors in every direction, starts playing "find the door that isn't just a texture").

But like I say, despite all the negative things I have to say so far, I'm going to give the game another shot or two. I was pretty tired and cranky last night, so I may have been picking at stuff that was just me in the learning curve of the title.
dmauro

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2009, 07:43:00 PM »

If you're having trouble seeing things in the daytime, it's because your visor is ON. You can't use it during the day because it has uses night vision. At night time you will want it on all the time. Obviously yes, you CAN turn it off, but you're not supposed to. Some of the firefight levels have nighttime versions of them because playing with the visor on is a bit of a different experience (for example, you can see invisible brutes).

Also, doors you can go through will have green lights on them, others will not or will be red.

My advice is to stay away from the campaign maybe because playing as the Rookie (the non-flashback stuff) is kind of boring, and it's just not as exciting as any of the other Halo games as a campaign, and instead friend me on XBL (dmauro) and we'll play some Firefight because that is where the game gets it right.

And if no one else is online, firefight is tons of fun even by yourself. It basically takes everything excellent about Halo and makes it into a high score kind of experience, without having to play against other humans.

I played a solo game of firefight today that lasted two and half hours. I got to the fourth set and had a ton of skulls on, including mythic (all enemies have double health). I just couldn't take down a swarm of chieftains that had double health and near immunity to bulllets (it's already bad enough that they can't be stuck with grenades by default).
Chairman Meow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2009, 06:39:33 PM »

Tried out Firefight mode for the first time today with Isfet, dmauro and my hungover buddy and barring the lag that reminded me of Quake 3 on 56k, it was a real blast.  Firefight mode alone is going to justify the $60 for me.

Oh, and my 360 headset is borked, and I also apologize for sucking, guys.
dmauro

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2009, 06:52:10 PM »

Yeah I think that lag was caused on my end. My internet has been acting up the last few days. Sorry about that. We'll try again sometime soon.
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2009, 12:55:51 PM »

Actually loopback, the whole night vision visor thing is what made me like the game a lot at first. Since I'm on a SD tv, and everything that's portrayed during the night in most PS3/360 games are impossible to see (i.e. Dead Rising), it felt like a bone being thrown to us poor folks...

... Unless it's still absolutely needed for HD set owning folks? In that case, that's kinda strange.

BTW, now that I'm finally done with the anime fest, I can finally hop online, though forewarned... I completely suck at the game, so don't put me on a team and expect me to contribute anything worthwhile.

Chairman Meow, are we XBL buds yet? I'm "FortNinety" in case anyone was wondering.
Chairman Meow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2009, 06:17:34 PM »

My roommate and I decided that whoever is modeling the faces at Bungie must be a founding member and that's why that didn't replace him ages ago. The Halo games usually have really nice stories because of Cortana.

Cortana's face isn't half bad, why can't anyone else look that good?  The character models in the opening cinematic for ODST are almost laughable, I seem to remember people having better faces in Halo 3.  It doesn't help that the main guy in ODST looks like a chubby douchebag version of Drake from Uncharted.

Chairman Meow, are we XBL buds yet? I'm "FortNinety" in case anyone was wondering.
Yep, my gamertag is Presley.
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2009, 06:32:54 PM »

Oh yeah! Sorry, I have a hard time keeping track of certain things.
dmauro

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2009, 02:25:10 PM »

Presley, you dropped out just as I went into the Action Sack playlist, which is a shame because it's full of fun, strange game types. I played a bit grifball, team sumo, dodgeball, team scuds and some others in there. We should try out doubles next time.
Chairman Meow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2009, 02:42:19 PM »

My internets got shut off for the day for "maintenance", at least that's what the phone rep was saying.  Although now I know the new forums are mobile-browser friendly.
ryan

View Profile Email
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2009, 01:35:41 AM »

The lack of matchmaking for ODST's multiplayer is annoying as hell. None of my friends have picked it up yet, so I'm stuck twiddling my thumbs until someone comes over or I luck out and they drop $60 for Halo 1.5 (badda-dum).
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2009, 02:28:16 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVc2ymSfGOU
ryan

View Profile Email
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2009, 03:56:28 AM »

"Why is it 'LOL' at the end? More like sad face." Ah man, I laugh every time I think of that.
sonictail

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2009, 10:19:50 AM »

Well I've been organising firefights with my friends over live and it's by far the most fun part. Fucking invisible monkeys with jetpacks >.<

Plot wise the single player isn't bad and the flashback / setpiece sequences are a nice touch.  But again I always play co-op for halo as it makes it far more fun.
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2009, 04:46:16 PM »

Time to exhume this thread with...

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/halo-reach-spike-tv/59812
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: