Home Help Search Members Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 25
  Print  
Author Topic: The Whatever The Heck You're Playing At The Moment Thread  (Read 280670 times)
Llydis

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2009, 12:46:27 AM »

Still Playing: Fallout 3, Dragon Quest V and Oblivion(?)

Coming in: The Dark Spire and Sonic Chronicles(from what I hear it's the best Sonic game currently. Which probably isn't saying much.)

Eagerly Awaiting: Dragon Age, Mass Effect 2 and Borderlands.
scratchmonkey

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2009, 02:30:25 AM »

I'm playing Fallout 3 as well, got it from the Steam sale, which is nice except that dealing with any of the downloadable content is horrific, as you have to try and make Steam and Windows Live for Games play nice with each other, which is a bit of a struggle. For a bit there I thought that they had deleted all my saves; what had actually happened was that they'd created a new Windows Live for Games User Folder that was where all "my" games were, which was of course empty because all my previous saves were in the folder above that. Very silly. And now it looks like it'll crash forcing a hard reset roughly 50% of the time I try and quit the game. I'm hoping that just killing the game from the Task Manager will work instead, not that that's a particularly elegant solution.

The game is pretty fun so far though, if pretty rough-edged a la everything Bethesda makes. I'm finding myself wanting to play the game entirely through VATS, which I'm having some difficulty with as you run out of AP fairly quickly, meaning that you either have to sit there and take damage (or preferably, hide) waiting for your AP to regenerate, or you can just mow people down FPS-styley, the only disadvantage of that being that you run through your ammo pretty quickly and also that as an FPS, it's pretty crappy, with precision aiming being quite difficult and the lack of stuff like lean just generally makes it a budget-ass experience.
isfet

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2009, 11:49:27 AM »

i've been playing Dragon Quest IX, using my limited understanding of Japanese and my fairly extensive knowledge of how to play RPGs.  it's a lot of fun and will probably be even more fun when i can read it in a language where my literacy is stronger than a kindergartner's .

i've also been playing Space Puzzle Bobble (Bust A Move) and...i dunno, i actually think this is a really fun game.  i mean, it's Bust A Move, so there isn't anything necessarily new to see here, but it's portable and there are wi-fi vs. options, so...i'm actually considering purchasing this game when it's released in the US.
Llydis

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2009, 12:10:02 PM »

I'm playing Fallout 3 as well, got it from the Steam sale, which is nice except that dealing with any of the downloadable content is horrific, as you have to try and make Steam and Windows Live for Games play nice with each other, which is a bit of a struggle. For a bit there I thought that they had deleted all my saves; what had actually happened was that they'd created a new Windows Live for Games User Folder that was where all "my" games were, which was of course empty because all my previous saves were in the folder above that. Very silly. And now it looks like it'll crash forcing a hard reset roughly 50% of the time I try and quit the game. I'm hoping that just killing the game from the Task Manager will work instead, not that that's a particularly elegant solution.

The game is pretty fun so far though, if pretty rough-edged a la everything Bethesda makes. I'm finding myself wanting to play the game entirely through VATS, which I'm having some difficulty with as you run out of AP fairly quickly, meaning that you either have to sit there and take damage (or preferably, hide) waiting for your AP to regenerate, or you can just mow people down FPS-styley, the only disadvantage of that being that you run through your ammo pretty quickly and also that as an FPS, it's pretty crappy, with precision aiming being quite difficult and the lack of stuff like lean just generally makes it a budget-ass experience.

There's a perk you get at a higher level that makes using VATS as your main combat mode more useful. I just wish it wasn't by the time you become a demi-god with stats. I think your AP is tied with your agility as well, so yeah... If your agility is low your AP will be. It's one of those games where you have to kinda figure out what you want your character to excel at when you start.

I hate using the normal combat for anything other than melee since it just isn't worth it.

FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2009, 12:37:35 PM »

So what's the overall consensus on Ghostbusters? That's it's boring and not funny at all? Cuz that's certainly the case, and I can't see anyone who doesn't have a hard-on for Ghostbusters wanting to bother, and anyone from that camp not being severely disappointed.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 12:47:34 PM by FortNinety » Logged
ryan

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2009, 10:20:08 PM »

I recently finished Red Faction: Guerrilla - a great game, if not all that guerrillay. I'm also grinding my way through Black Sigil on the DS and Cross Edge on the PS3.
EarlMadness

No Yiffing!

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2009, 01:43:11 AM »

Got myself busy with Battlefield 1943 personally.  I was really into bad Company because of the destructability and loads of work they put into sound and it's basically bad Company arcade style.  3 classes, inifinite ammo.  A fun, quick fps with a reeeally neat Air mode; first game I played that did air combat over mutliplayer well enough I felt like I could actually fly a plane in a battlefield game.
EarlMadness

No Yiffing!

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2009, 01:47:44 AM »

So what's the overall consensus on Ghostbusters? That's it's boring and not funny at all? Cuz that's certainly the case, and I can't see anyone who doesn't have a hard-on for Ghostbusters wanting to bother, and anyone from that camp not being severely disappointed.

Actually I found the demo fun.  Both me and my bf had major fun fanboying over the orignal cast talking and enacting with'em.  The PC port is atrocious, while my lappy can't run TF2, my bf's is capable of running Crysis decently and lagged majorly until we lowered it's priority and di a few other kinky things and it still lags when it shouldn't plus some atrociously stupid bugs.  There was no support given for the PC port, only console.

Still good though.
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2009, 04:54:43 PM »

Just got back from Nintendo's Wii Sports Resort thing in the middle of Times Square. Was always mildly interested, but never had plans on nabbing it day one. That was until I saw that Wii Bowling is back X 100. Didn't get a chance to actually play it, just ran to the Nintendo World Store and bought a copy (they're selling it early).

Did go through a few of the other mini-games though, like sword fighting and archery. For all those people who are complaining that the Motion Plus device is too exact. I... feel differently, but maybe the sensitivity is just more forgiving in Sports Resort.
dmauro

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2009, 05:43:52 PM »

Oh shit, that thing's out?! Maybe I should head there now....?

edit: so do you have to buy two copies, or does it come with two of the new devices?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 05:45:27 PM by dmauro » Logged
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2009, 02:28:00 AM »

The module is sold separately, for $20, which is a lot. But at least that means no extra game purchase.

Though who knows if there's gonna be an enhanced version of Wii Play that will throw an extra one in for free, like the original had the free Wiimote. Nothing has been announced, but I wouldn't be surprised if it eventually happens. I'll bring it over tomorrow for breaks during Street Fighter school.
dmauro

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2009, 11:06:21 AM »

Awesome, bring the game too. I'd love to try it out. At $70 to properly get going with it, I think I'll pass for the time being.
isfet

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2009, 11:51:12 PM »

Played a lot of KoFXII and Blazblue today.  i know neither of those really jive with Matt or Dave, but after spending a good deal of time with each, i think as of right now i'm inclined to say "Blazblue wins."  as far as bringing 2D games into HD and all that means, Blazblue seems to get most of what had to be done, done.  whereas KoFXII is really...inconsistent.  it doesn't mean i don't like KoF, because i do; but until i see some videos of some really insane stuff i never saw before or even thought of, it right now feels sort of like a great idea that wasn't executed properly or successfully.

hopefully, they'll pull a Third Strike with KoFXII.  i mean, the first two SF3s are decent fun, but 3S is what changed everything.

i also downloaded the demo to Final Fantasy: Dissidia.  haha, yea.

well, it's actually kind of fun, i think.  if you take it at face value and as a portable fighting game, it's pretty food for what it is.  and if you have any kind of fond memories of older FF games, the earlier casts are well represented.  i might actually consider getting this one, if i don't get exceptionally tired of the demo.
The Drunken Samurai

TDS21o3
View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2009, 02:30:53 AM »

it's pretty food for what it is. 

hungry?
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2009, 11:11:41 AM »

Hey Joe, maybe you've noticed already in the Street Fighter School thread, but Katie is also becoming quite the fan of BlazBlue, so at least you have someone to play against, other than the unwashed masses online.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 25
  Print  

Jump to: