Home Help Search Members Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 25
  Print  
Author Topic: The Whatever The Heck You're Playing At The Moment Thread  (Read 177331 times)
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« on: July 12, 2009, 02:06:22 PM »

1. Just starting playing Little King Story. It's totally awesome; a cute JRPG mixed with Pikmin mechanics. The interface is super smooth and intuitive (something I'm always wary of in any strategy title) and the A/V is top-notch (the music in particular is extremely charming). Unfortunately, I encountered a game killing bug very early on, which is not good news. I should perhaps tell XSEED, but it's already too late, since all the copies have been made.

2. Still working on Flower, Sun, and Rain, mostly for review on my site, since it'll be one of the absolute few to be glowingly positive. Everyone hates the game, but not me. Which I guess is especially funny considering how much I hate Killer 7, and both it and FSR contain the same esoteric elements, yet none of them is a detriment in a non-action oriented affair like FSR. More to be disclosed in the eventual write-up.

3. God, Bit.Trip Core is like crack. Can't get enough. And even harder than Bit.Trip Beat. But unlike that one, Core relies more on memorization than pure dexterity (though there's plenty of that too), hence why I should be able to beat it in the end, unlike Beat (if there was a paddle controller adapter, it would be a different story).

What about you guys?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 07:40:49 PM by FortNinety » Logged
isfet

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 02:23:38 PM »

what, exactly, is Bit.Trip.Core?  i keep seeing you make reference to it, but have no idea what it's like or what it's for.

i'm currently dividing my time up between a few games.  currently, the most played for me are

Call of Duty 4 (finally, after Amazon lowered the price of the PS3 version to $28 for a day), which has some really fantastic moments in it, though i feel like some skirmishes last just a little bit too long, making it irritating when i'm almost through a segment and then die.

Devil Survivor - classic SMT-style battles (yet slightly remixed) mixed with a tactical RPG and an interesting system that involves the passing of time.  the last part makes it similar to the Persona series in that you can only do so much in one day and (game) life will go on regardless of what you've done.

Knights in the Nightmare - it's a game by Sting, which means it's very esoteric and a bit cryptic.  Sting made Riviera and Yggdra Union, both games that are really worth at least trying, but sort of fall flat in the new ideas they try out.  this game attempts to make itself clear through a VERY thorough tutorial section you can read through at your leisure, but a lot of stuff only makes sense once you try it out.  and even then, i sometimes feel like i'm winning based on luck.  but like every other Sting game, i appreciate how different it's trying to be in a sea of JRPG mediocrity.

i'm playing through the Metal Gear Ac!d series sort of off and on, too.  really enjoyable, assuming you enjoy the idea of turn-based strategy mixed in with a stealth game (oh, also a card game).  kind of weird and surprised they actually made two of these games.
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 02:30:08 PM »

I really need to pick up Devil Survivor. To be honest, I've been somewhat non-plussed by Atlus's recent offering, primarily Devil Summoner 2, which was about as boring as you said it would be. But I've heard lots of great things and am not willing to give a non Persona SMT title a shot.

As for the Bit.Trip games, they're both WiiWare titles, easily the best ones available on the service (till Cave Story comes out, and even afterwards, will still be able to hang with it). You should definitely try them out, especially since they're pretty dirt cheap.
isfet

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 02:42:29 PM »

ah, ok, i'll check them out then.  maybe even today.  should i just get the newest one?  does one build on the other or are they different enough to justify getting both?
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 02:45:59 PM »

Each one is different. The first plays like pong, the second... more like a classic shump supposedly. Apparently, the creator has like ten different game variants in mind, and I really hope that it does well enough to bring up the eventual driving title. To be honest, I'm surprised the first one did well enough in the first place to warrant a follow-up.
isfet

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 04:15:05 PM »

oh, if anyone had been at all interested in Black Sigil for the DS, for whatever reason, don't even bother with it.

i didn't have much faith in the game to begin with (especially after how long it had been delayed), but its graphics and aesthetics seemed to imply that it was at least trying to be a competent ripoff of mid-90's era Squaresoft.  there are far worse things to try to rip off, for sure.  anyway, the game itself is just so horrid and unplayable, that no amount of detailed, pretty spritework can possibly save it.  what's funny about this, is that it's quite possibly even more antiquated feeling than an NES-era RPG.  that's...that's really something, i think.  

it just makes no sense to me; why base your game on something and not even copy what it does well?
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 07:47:13 PM »

Back to Knights in the Nightmare, I found myself really digging the tutorial and going "can't wait to finally do this thing!" and then literally an hour later, giving up all interest since I was still stuck learning stuff. Seems really neat, but the fact that EVERYONE has stated that it's the most complicated game ever makes me not even want to bother.
The Drunken Samurai

TDS21o3
View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 12:29:42 AM »

last week i replayed halfway through FFVII for the first time in years and... its still not bad, it has a good story, perhaps badly written and probably stolen from a million other places, but still a good story.

its fun. just fun
dmauro

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 01:39:36 AM »

I'm still trying to beat Death Smiles in Death Mode, which should kick my high score up to 150 million or so (it's at 120 something million right now, but I just can't get through the final level with suicide bullets).

I've also been playing Ghosts N' Goblins some more after setting a not-so-high high score at Barcade last week.

I'm also playing through Jedi Knight again. There is a re-texture mod you can download for it, and the game still looks best at 640x480, but the mod does make it look much nicer.
ATOMU

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 02:06:14 AM »

In the throes of beating Devil Summoner 1 right now, which makes me want to toss my ps2 at the wall not out of difficulty but at the sheer mundanity. And I like this series.
Upon beating that I plan on rolling over immediately into Devil Summoner 2.

Also trying my best to throw Devil Survivor a bone because it is apparently actually good.
I have beef with the art style (it doesn't even look like the art of a typical pixiv user, Atlus went straight for deviantart), and the protagonists just seem like ports of Persona 3 characters after a cleveland steamer from The World Ends With You. But the presentation is really impressive and the promise of street cred looms ever above me.

As for games I am having legitimate fun playing: Cookie Shop, Astro Boy for the gba, and...well, TWEWY.  Haters gonna hate.

FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2009, 02:14:45 AM »

the protagonists just seem like ports of Persona 3 characters after a cleveland steamer from The World Ends With You

lol
ATOMU

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2009, 02:26:39 AM »

the protagonists just seem like ports of Persona 3 characters after a cleveland steamer from The World Ends With You

lol
Not to mention their unremarkable clothing implies that TWEWY's heart wasn't fully in it...I'm pretty sure the act was a business transaction as opposed to an act of love, a consummation of a relationship. Persona 3 paid The World Ends With You to take a dump on its chest.
ATOMU

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2009, 02:27:05 AM »

I have fanfiction to write, excuse me.
dhex

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2009, 12:21:42 AM »

far cry 2. in small doses, quite fun. still far too repetitive, though not quite as suicidal as the pre-patching version was.

looking forward to age of decadence as per the usual. hopefully it'll be out before christmas, 2012.
dmauro

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2009, 11:40:00 AM »

I really want to play Far Cry 2 with those nVidia 3D glasses. I've got my save game just sitting here waiting for that to happen.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 25
  Print  

Jump to: