Home Help Search Members Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
  Print  
Author Topic: The Animu Thread (dhex, no need to bother with this one)  (Read 111107 times)
pilot

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2009, 07:50:35 AM »

I know I was kind of a weird kid reading one of the sources, Childhood's End, when I was 11 but the ending of Evangelion, series and movie, didn't strike me as all that fucked up.

Would you recommend this book? I'm sort of a closet Eva fan and anything non-anime that deals with similar subject matter I can openly read on the subway would be fantastic.
drozdal

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2009, 01:04:39 PM »

P3 Aegis. Matt, I think you'll need to get this one.

http://ameblo.jp/figma/

FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2009, 01:12:35 PM »

Yes... I think you are correct! Though I'm already working on a PS4 menagerie; I've already pre-ordered some Rise and Teddy statues...

... and am kinda holding out for Chie. No f'n idea why one hasn't been announced. Then again, they never made one of Yukari from P3, for whatever reason.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 01:22:01 PM by FortNinety » Logged
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2009, 01:31:33 PM »

Wait a minute, there was a Chie figure made! And I totally missed it, FUCK....

http://tomopop.com/persona-4-s-chie-already-scores-a-garage-kit-5783.phtml

... In my defense, it was announced well before I gave a rat's ass about the game.
Fitz

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2009, 08:35:28 PM »

Would you recommend this book? I'm sort of a closet Eva fan and anything non-anime that deals with similar subject matter I can openly read on the subway would be fantastic.

Clarke has one of those old Sci-Fi writing styles that you either love or hate.  That being said it is a slim little book with a lot of interesting elements to it. It will also give you some idea of what the final form "humanity as latent angel" was to be taking which never quite gets hashed out in Eva.

It lacks the self-conscious masturbation habits, creepy cross generational incest and giant robots though.
pilot

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2009, 07:14:17 AM »

To the library I go
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2009, 01:55:04 PM »

Quote from: drozdal
P3 Aegis. Matt, I think you'll need to get this one.

http://ameblo.jp/figma/

drozdal & ATOMU, advice needed: I'm not exactly made of money, so I'm thinking of canceling my pre-order for the Teddy figure and putting that money towards Aeigs one. What do you guys think?
ATOMU

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2009, 03:28:18 PM »

Short answer:
AIGIS. FUCKING AIGIS.

Long answer: It depends on the kind of animu trinkets you're in to. I love articulated figures and Figmas are really, really great ones and worth their price, usually. If you like having things to fiddle with on your desk and pose suggestively they're for you. I have met people who prefer unposable statues for jerking off on, if that's you, just buy one of the Aigis statues. But Figmas, man. Figmas are fucking awesome. You have to either really hate having to pose something or really love Teddie.

Also figma parts are mostly interchangable with eachother / other similar articulated figures (ie revoltech) so that's hours of entertainment. It's like legos but with schoolgirls.
ATOMU

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2009, 03:33:06 PM »

Also, should you decide on her, I'd preorder on HLJ.com now because the prices are accurate to what they are in Japan and she's on Early Bird special. Figmas become varying levels of annoying to get and inflated if you don't snatch them up this way.
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2009, 05:27:59 PM »

First off, thanks for the Hobby Link suggestion. Though my pre-existing pre-orders are through National Console Support, so if I was going to cancel out, I guess my replacement order would be through them as well (unless I opt for a total refund, which I guess is still possible).

It's indeed cheaper at Hobby Link, by $10, which to be honest isn't so bad, especially considering that those other P4 statues were so much more. I guess Aegis is considered more of an action figure, due to the possible nature, and therefor isn't as glamorous or something?

And I have no real preference towards or objection towards pose-ability. It's  just gonna just sit there on my shelf, though choosing what I want is pretty neat. Actually, I kinda hate seeing exposed joints or whatever, though that's not really an issue here, thanks to the design and color.

I might just keep the Teddy statue and order through the suggested site. I dunno... not really sure why I ordered Teddy in the first place; just got excited when putting down money for Rise and figured, what the hell. I think he's a neat character with an interesting design, while everyone else (especially the gf) can't stand him. Then again, I don't mind the American voices in P4 (hope you don't lose all respect for me after that statement). I have fairly decent sized place, but don't want too many animu figures all over the place.

A part of me wants to have a full collection of P4 characters, but I could care less about the males, and only really want Chie, but who knows if that will ever happen (am also kicking myself for missing Yukiko, but refuse to pay an absurd amount for her). Point being, having Teddy is not so important. I already feel silly for having two Reis and two Sky Girls as is.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 05:29:33 PM by FortNinety » Logged
ATOMU

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2009, 06:12:39 PM »

FWIW Figmas hold poses well and the joints are unobtrusive. Having seen other people's fancy lady statues the paint apps are pretty much just as good, too.

I was really expecting to HATE Teddie, but he's not so bad. And neither is P4's dub/localization, which in fact is fantastic! (Aside from Naoto, but LOL GENDER AND CULTURAL NUANCES and living up to Paku Romi's leg splitting otokoyaku voice is a tall order)

Trying to collect the p4 ladies is a tough one because those kind of figures are inconsistent. Companies want to make money so they end up doing popular characters and scale, proportions and style are all varied between artists and the figures themselves. P3 getting a whole bunch of figures in the same scale and line was kind of a rare thing, and mostly just a creative way of selling the drama cds. TLDR buy who you want, completionism is dumb!

I'm wondering why we're talking about persona in the animu thread though. Shame on us.
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2009, 06:58:22 PM »

Quote from: ATOMU
I'm wondering why we're talking about persona in the animu thread though. Shame on us.

Cuz Persona is worth talking about, anywhere, anytime. Besides, collecting figures based on characters, whether it be from a anime, manga, or game is all animu in my book.

Wait, so all the P3 women got figures? I can't ever recall one of Yukari, who aside from Aegis/Aigis, is the only female I care from that game. I know there's a Mitsuru figure, but eh, whatever.

So once again, Chie is the only one I care about, so hopefully one day, a miracle might happen. Again, could always track down the one of the left...

... And to be honest, that one isn't entirely all that amazing to begin with.

BTW, another reason why I want to hold onto Teddy is how I simply don't want nothing but large-ish statues of girls. That's kinda weird I guess. But I'm having the hardest time trying to figure out how to get what I REALLY want, and that's statues of assorted shmup ships...

« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 07:00:25 PM by FortNinety » Logged
ATOMU

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2009, 12:35:56 AM »

No, they didn't. God, I WISH someone made a Yukari figure.
I think it was just Aigis, Akihiko, Mitsuru and the protagonist or something. They aren't very good and at least two of those characters have far better looking statues of them available.

Those shmup figures are totally dreamy. You can try yahoo! japan auctions and a shopping service for those, probably.
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2009, 02:20:58 PM »

So not only is Halo getting the animu treatment, but so is Iron Man...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_ej7ZlS2oQ

... and Wolverine...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lyy-KBFvKPg

... The Iron Man one looks okay, I guess. Captain Harlock as the bad guy? Just wish a more mech-oriented studio was handling it, though it still looks far better than the crappy direct to video cartoons that's already come in America. The Wolverine one on the other hands looks like utter generic bullshit. Yeesh.
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2009, 08:08:01 PM »

So August is shaping up to be a killer month! Later this weekend, Summer Wars comes out, which is by the folks who made The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, mostly known for beating Studio Ghibli in theaters head to head (and for good reason, it's pretty awesome). Here's the trailer which my go to animu person passed along recently...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Wi2lb1sVk8

Then you have Cencoroll, which looks equally awesome...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjfyrZjm-cs
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
  Print  

Jump to: