Home Help Search Members Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
  Print  
Author Topic: The Animu Thread (dhex, no need to bother with this one)  (Read 83856 times)
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« on: July 12, 2009, 01:47:05 PM »

Since I know definitely that I'm not the only person here that enjoys anime and manga (though I'm not gonna name any names, since some lurkers love their anonymity), figured it would be good to have a topic that's separate from "LOL Japan" which is all about cringing and head shaking. Since not every form of media from Nippon is about loli molestation. Kinda.

...Though as noted in my NYAFF wrap-up, it was a tad bit disconcerting/annoying that practically every single Japanese flick I saw dealt with perverts. But moving on...

So Evangelion, which is a modern masterpiece in many people's eyes (since it got so many people into contemporary anime, especially during it's heyday, and continues to be quite influential) is being remade into a series of theatrical releases. The first one either last year or two years ago is finally being released here, primarily on DVD/Blu-ray, though there might be a limited theatrical run here in NYC and other major cities. Though the American-ized trailer is a big turn off...

http://www.funimation.com/Evangelion/

... I wish I could show the original Japanese trailer as a comparison, but YouTube's search function sucks, and the place is just flooded with AMVs.

Anyhow, the 2nd movie comes out soon, and it introduces a new girl, who I thought had this decidedly different, but therefore nifty as a result, green plug suit...

But now it's been revealed to be regular looking and pink, which is somewhat of a disappointment...

... At the very least, it should still be green or something. Anyone, use this opprotunity to recommend and talk about your fave wackky jappy cartoons and funny books.
ATOMU

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 02:32:35 PM »

I'm okay with the pink, it ties her into the universe a little better, but then it clashes with her trainwreck of a robot. IDEK, Gainax. IDEK.

Furthermore,

FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 02:37:28 PM »

So what's the story here? Does she have two plug-suits, or did people grumble when they first saw the green design, or was it just a super early concept? Do I even want to know what her robot looks like?

The idea of a new girl is something I'm not so down with, but at least she has glasses.
isfet

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 02:39:07 PM »

i enjoy things that are obviously anime, but i can't really say i'm a "fan" of the stuff since i find i really enjoy very little of the stuff (when you consider how much is out there).  the only series i'd ever consider recommending to someone not sold on it would probably be Lain and Cowboy Bebop.  maybe some of Ghost in the Shell: SAC, as that's basically Law and Order: FUTURE CYBORG OPS.

definitely interested in the Evangelion reboot, just to see if it's even more fucked up now or if, now that the creator is past all his suicide attempts, craziness and spite for his fans, it's a little more down to Earth.

from what i've heard, new girl is basically inserted as sort of a nod to the more recent female anime tropes that have come into existence since Eva first came around.  so...yea, i dunno.  at least it looks beautifully animated and will look great on my TV in Blu Ray Disc Format (tm Sony).
ATOMU

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 02:48:19 PM »

Welp.

I'm always sceptical of adding a new character to a remake but she's cute as fuck and has th-thigh highs...
As for the suits, considering that the green one has showed up in magazine scans and has a figure out, I doubt it got axed. Probably just has both. Wait and see?

I'm interested as to what tropes she represents, isfet? It seems like Evangelion had them all covered before.
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 02:56:41 PM »

i enjoy things that are obviously anime, but i can't really say i'm a "fan" of the stuff since i find i really enjoy very little of the stuff (when you consider how much is out there).  the only series i'd ever consider recommending to someone not sold on it would probably be Lain and Cowboy Bebop.  maybe some of Ghost in the Shell: SAC, as that's basically Law and Order: FUTURE CYBORG OPS.

definitely interested in the Evangelion reboot, just to see if it's even more fucked up now or if, now that the creator is past all his suicide attempts, craziness and spite for his fans, it's a little more down to Earth.

The thing about anime is that there's a TON of stuff out there, most of which does not come out in America, not surprisingly, so you absolutely need to know the right places to check shit out. Thankfully, with the advent of the Flash video codec, along with BitTorrent, and an ever increasing number of animu dorks that are willing to flex their Japanese translation skills, it's so much easier to check what's available in Japan and at a much faster rate. Sometimes stuff that just aired there is available in English in only a few days.

One huge problem is that all of the major news sites that cover anime is positively worthless. Hence why you simply need to know people that are in the know, and who most importantly have good taste.

As for the creator of EVA, my trusted sources (i.e Japanese people who actually live and work in Japan) tell me that virtually everything you've heard about his volatile personality has been blown way out of proportion, mostly by fans who think EVA is this groundbreaking form of media, the same types who never bother to check out anything else from anywhere else (it's like people who only get their news from the Daily Show, i.e. complete idiots). It's awesome and all, but hardly original, in the same sense that nothing is truly original. Anyway, apparently the creator was initially turned off by being painted in such a negative light, but when he realized that it added further appeal and mysticism to his show, which in turn meant more $$$, he's just gone with the flow ever since.

Welp.

Wow, that is fucking UGLY.
isfet

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 03:03:20 PM »

i can't remember where i read the descriptions of the new girl and can't find them.  and i didn't pay close enough attention to really gather what makes her pandering...so...oh well!  but at the very least, no one seems too impressed with her or feels she adds a whole lot to the series at this point.

apparently the last half of Eva 2.0 really starts fucking shit up (in an interesting/good way).

and um, if anyone is interested in seeing the last 30 minutes of Eva 2.0....  if that's a no no, tell me and i'll take out the link.  also, have a fan-sub to read along with:  http://roe2wade.command-q.org/
EarlMadness

No Yiffing!

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2009, 03:14:15 PM »

Personally, I liked Eva, but reeeally wished they had toned the kid down from being so emo and reclusive.  I understand that was his character and it was purposeful, but it just dragged on the middle episodes dut to it I felt.

I'm iffy aboutmovies and shit because I thought the series ended and all, you know?  What they gonna talk about?

But then again, I'm a hardcore Studio Ghibli fanboy, so meh.

But if youliked Eva, I'd defintely check out Teknolyze if you haven't already, similar vein.

isfet

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2009, 03:19:03 PM »

i watched the first five to six episodes of Texhnolyze, but it didn't really grip me.  it's by the same people who made Lain, so i really feel like i should give it another shot one of these days.  but yea, just seemed a little less inspired to me, for some reason.

but re: the Eva relaunch, without spoiling anything for anyone who doesn't want stuff spoiled, it's basically a re-imagining in a lot of ways.  based on things i've read people saying, scenes are arranged differently, dialogue is seemingly switched between characters at times for different effects and...well, the way Eva 2.0 ends seems to indicate that 3.0 and 4.0 (or whatever the hell they'll be called) are going to be pretty much all new.
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2009, 03:32:32 PM »

My attitude towards the redux is that, no matter what, the original show isn't going anywhere. It's not like they're going to magically disappear. Not much consolation for those who have the "once I see something, I can't un-see it" issue, but that's a bigger problem as a whole.

I too find remakes and revamps totally unnecessary and rather douchey, but this is Gainax we're talking about. The fact that the DVD/Blu-ray release already has a host of changes and improvements means that they're just doing what they've always done, and always will.
Fitz

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2009, 10:13:59 PM »

I know I was kind of a weird kid reading one of the sources, Childhood's End, when I was 11 but the ending of Evangelion, series and movie, didn't strike me as all that fucked up. All human conscious is about to merge into a single supra consciousness but one kid at the center of what set it off decided he didn't want his identity dissolved into the oversoul. 

Seems pretty straight forward.

I'm curious if they are keeping the core Human Instrumentality theme roughly the same for the reworking.

The Drunken Samurai

TDS21o3
View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2009, 12:43:10 AM »

i just cant comprehend why people like evangelion at all. now ive read that the japanese animation style is what it is because of the low budgets, so they reuse animation cells. but when a single cell runs for almost three goddamn minutes i just roll my eyes and say "come the fuck on."
Fitz

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2009, 08:41:07 AM »

i just cant comprehend why people like evangelion at all.

"Water must be allowed to seek its own level without interference from apologists," or something like that.
isfet

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2009, 11:34:17 AM »

re:Fitz. when I say fucked up, I mean more in terms of how the series shifted from being a giant robot anime into what it became. not necessarily that the outcome isn't straightforward enough.
Llydis

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2009, 07:16:07 PM »

I can't say I'm a major fan of anime, I like a few series but I hate it when people ask me to draw anime style for them.

Then again, my favorite series are SE: Lain, Ghost in the Shell and... The Vision of Escaflowne. I also enjoyed the .hack anime series(the first one, haven't seen //Roots yet) for what it was. Still haven't had the patience to actually play through all the games.

I think what pisses me off most about anime are it's fans. Not anime itself. Then again, I also get pissed off at videogame fans, and I play the damn things.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
  Print  

Jump to: