Home Help Search Members Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: mumps in brooklyn  (Read 30495 times)
dhex

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2009, 11:07:09 AM »

as an aside, i've heard it put forth by a few food researchers now that the strain of anti-science thought in the otherwise educated, generally liberal community is a symptom of poor liberal arts education. and that it's related to the anti-vaccination crusades in that you have people who think they're smart, but don't realize they lack expertise in these particular fields. (or particularly understand how things work)

which does make sense, i think, as you can have someone who's afraid of gmo techniques but still able to bash those ignorant creationists. but that's also a function of the cost of belief i mentioned above. whether you believe or disbelieve in evolution, you don't change the way you live your life. you just apply it to whatever cultural warfare fights you tend to get het up about.

with food stuff and vaccines, however, there's a sub-market that's ready to cater to your needs, whether it be organic or slow foods vendors and cooperatives or some fuckface selling you chelation therapy materials. (seriously, i cannot believe anyone would do that to their child.)
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2009, 11:12:37 AM »

Quote from: dhex
you have people who think they're smart, but don't realize they lack expertise in these particular fields. (or particularly understand how things work)

Hence all the troofers out there who believe they are demolition experts because of some YouTube video out there.
dhex

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2009, 11:18:16 AM »

they do seem to conflate "research" with "reading things", which is not what research means.

i think another barrier in general is that "i'm educated" serves as a similar brake that "i'm righteous" serves for religious folk. you don't have to wonder "am i making a mistake here" because you already know the answer and are not duped by the medical industry/homosexual agenda.

for example: time and again in that wired article comments section you see the whole "why is our health an industry?" as if that's supposed to be an indictment in and of itself. the naturalistic fallacy is an awful, awful thing.
isfet

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2009, 09:39:02 AM »

http://pitchfork.com/news/36949-billy-corgan-versus-the-h1n1-vaccine/
scratchmonkey

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2009, 12:16:04 AM »

I vaguely remember somebody saying on the radio that the U.S. gubbmint has actually bought all of the H1N1 shots, so if it's somebody offering them for sale, it's just a regular seasonal flu vaccine, which wouldn't help you with the swine flu at all.

So after some talking and research, I think that I'm wrong and that drug stores do actually have the H1N1 vaccine, it's just a question of whether they actually have it in stock at every store and who they can give it to -- apparently they're only supposed to sell it to people who are supposed to get it first and I've seen wildly varying reports on the availability of it, as well as questions as to what form it's in (nasal spray vs. shot), as apparently that makes a difference in whether you can take it or not (a pregnant friend claimed that preggos can only take the shot, not the nasal spray).
dhex

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2009, 09:25:10 AM »

the nasal spray is not recommended for pregnant women.
dhex

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2010, 12:18:55 PM »

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2010/01/28/antivaxxer-movement-leader-found-to-have-acted-unethically/

wow, someone should set that guy on fire.
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2010, 05:41:21 PM »

Uh oh, hope all those Park Slope parents don't catch wind of this! Their heads might explode.
Fitz

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2010, 09:57:11 PM »

If they take in their kids for vaccination and maybe learn something about hysteria I'd see it as drawing a win from someone who very clearly has the deaths of quite a few on his hands.

scratchmonkey

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2010, 11:35:04 PM »

Uh oh, hope all those Park Slope parents don't catch wind of this! Their heads might explode.

From what I hear about the dude's supporters in England, I'm sure a lot of them will claim this as some kind of corporation-based media slander to hide the trooooooooooooth.

I was pretty happy to find out that our pediatrician refuses to take patients if you're not going to do vaccines.
dmauro

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2010, 11:49:11 AM »

I can see how this might appear wrong or immoral to a skeptic, but that’s because you aren’t using the correct logic.

We all know that Big Pharma is unethical and wrong, and according to the old adage, we must ‘fight fire with fire.” So in order to fight Big Pharma, a brave man must be both more wrong and more unethical than Big Pharma in order to win. Since Big Pharma is also evil, those fighting Big Phrama must therefor be righteous. Which in turn means, that the more one acts unethically and the more one lies, the more righteous one becomes. It’s all really simple.

From the comments section.
Fitz

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2010, 11:58:59 AM »

I'm so glad I read Eric Hoffer's True Believer. It manages to frame these kind of inherently absurd arguments with at least some level of understandability.

isfet

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2010, 12:02:01 PM »

i don't mind people with absurd arguments until they start producing offspring
dhex

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2010, 11:42:53 AM »

sadly, i really do think that it will take a celebrity child's death from a common disease to put the brakes on this trend. or a really large outbreak with a high bodycount in some place like park slope or another enclave of general wealth and education.

then again, high profile deaths haven't done much for the hiv denialism train, though that was always far less popular. (and ultimately, far less dangerous to random strangers)
Fitz

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2010, 12:17:26 PM »

then again, high profile deaths haven't done much for the hiv denialism train, though that was always far less popular. (and ultimately, far less dangerous to random strangers)

The Anti-Vaccination folks were basically in the same situation as the HIV denialists until the Autism link was faked. Once a general hysteria was set off with that it just cascaded into government fear, pharma fear, etc. There's a good chance it will start to swing back the other way leaving it back to the wackjobs, but that will take a while.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: