Home Help Search Members Register
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Once Again, Let's All Bitch About The Subways  (Read 56608 times)
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2009, 01:55:55 AM »

The MTA decided to do major track work on every single line this weekend, with the sole exception being the M line. EVERYTHING is fucked up, even more so than usual.

As a result, Katie is now stuck in Brooklyn, sleeping on a friend's couch. Plans to go to Jersey tomorrow for Japanese food shopping with a friend of hers has effectively been canceled, which really pisses me off since I've been out of beef bowl material for some time now.
dhex

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2009, 01:30:57 PM »

it'd been in the new for a few days that this was going to be a total clusterfuck because of construction. almost every line was affected.
pilot

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2009, 09:03:38 PM »

Yeah, yesterday was a mess for me, travel-wise. I had already made some big plans with friends before I had heard about the train apocalypse this weekend so there wasn't any getting around it. My trip from Washington Heights to Park Slope took 2 hours, and consisted of taking the 1 downtown instead of the A (construction between 168 and 181 usually means unreliable shuttle buses/waiting forever at the 168 station to finally get a train). The 1 wasn't exactly a better option as there was a ton of construction and a miserable crawl between 72nd to 42nd. I transferred to the N because it was supposed to replace the R, and the overhead sign on the N train was incorrect about every stop it was making so I wasn't sure if I was doing it right. The N was also really dragging. Trying to get home last night around midnight from Kensington (a few blocks away from the Fort Hamilton Parkway stop on the F), I began walking to where the shuttle bus was supposed to be and on the way noticed that the signs turning people away from the F stop were handwritten on looseleaf in what appeared to be Crayola washable marker. At that point I lost all faith in the MTA and decided to say fuck it and try again in the morning.

The lamest thing had to be this morning taking shuttle buses on both ends of my trip. It's weird, I guess on paper it shouldn't be that much of a drag, but something about that interruption of routine can be so frustrating, especially when you don't know if it will be a 10-30 minute diversion. But.. at least no one was acting like a fuckhead on any of the trains. At least there was that.
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2009, 12:31:44 AM »

Last night these two guys next to me were making out hardcore for most of my trip home. Thing is, I'm pretty sure they weren't gay, just REALLY drunk. I believe they were is super high spirits because of the Yankees winning their game. Also, they were very Italian.

The actual headache began when a bunch of MTA track workers got on board. I love how they have this need to yell at each other despite being right next to each other. I know I'm loud when talking, but come on. I would attribute it to them going deaf due to all loud noises that comes with the job, but who am I kidding? They don't do shit, hence there's no real exposure.
dhex

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2009, 03:58:16 PM »

Slain for his subway seat: Exterminator stabs D train straphanger to death after seat scuffle

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2009/11/21/2009-11-21_slain_for_his_subway_seat_stranger_stabs_d_train_straphanger_to_death_over_.html#ixzz0XoRtWBKG
dhex

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2009, 10:48:21 AM »

Runaway Spent 11 Days in the Subways

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/24/nyregion/24runaway.html?adxnnl=1&partner=rss&emc=rss&adxnnlx=1259075129-kDuSnWSxUmD2+zWX9vRPDQ
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2009, 10:36:42 PM »

There was just a news report on ch. 11 on what to do with Metrocards that have odd amounts of money on them. Apparently, some folks just throw them away instead of doing the math to get them back up $2.25. Which is, needless to say, mindblowing.

Then again, lol channel 11 news!
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2009, 06:14:28 PM »

Once again, gotta love the fucking people that comment on such things...

http://gothamist.com/2009/12/27/video_bloody_fight_on_the_6_train.php

... I love the assertion that the woman deserved to get a bloody nose. Yup.

EDIT: I now hear the MTA is somewhat claiming the video is fake? Holy fucking shit...
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 09:52:20 PM by FortNinety » Logged
dhex

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2009, 09:17:08 AM »

saw some awesomeness this morning.

it's crowded as all hell at 59th street/lex, as it always is, and i was slowly shuffling behind some folk headed to lord knows where. some gino near the head of the pack decides to turn around halfway through his trip past the stairs at the far southern end of the platform (i.e. where it's most narrow) and shoves his way through three or four women before bouncing into this guy a few folk ahead of me who just straight up pass blocked him into the stairs.

that by itself would be awesome, but homeslice wasn't paying attention and wearing earbuds blasting the latest guido control waves, so he says out of habit "hey, watch it nigga!"

then he looks up. the guy who pass blocked him is black.

i worked my way around that and got up the stairs. dude was still shouting at eyebrow threads when i got to the second set of stairs to the uptown six.
dhex

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2010, 10:08:49 AM »

i never got the memo that the best place to check your belongings and three pieces of luggage for tic tacs is at the top of the stairs leading to the subway. apparently it was a very convincing memo.
loopback

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2010, 07:15:26 PM »

I've only spent a total of 6 or so days in New York.  This is all making me miss it.

"Like I need this guy lookin' at me."
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2010, 02:30:25 PM »

So there's this Twitter feed called FakeMTA, which gave out fake advisories and it used to be hilarious. But then something happened around the new year, and it stopped being funny.

And then it made this...

http://www.twitvid.com/0D628
dmauro

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2010, 02:43:53 PM »

At about a minute and a half in I looked at the timeline to see that it went on for another four minutes. Pretty funny stuff, but I got the gist after a minute.
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2010, 02:58:37 PM »

It's actually only two minutes long. I guess FakeMTA doesn't know how to use iMovie properly or something.
dhex

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2010, 12:48:57 PM »

today on the n train it was crowded and people were annoyed. as per the often, if not the usual.

woman gets on with a roller luggage and parks herself in front of the door (because that's the best place to stop). at queensboro people are trying to get off and she ignores them to focus on her phone.

a few angry excuse mes later some dude just up and punts her bag out of the train.

kinda awesome.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: