Home Help Search Members Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Once Again, Let's All Bitch About The Subways  (Read 56437 times)
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« on: July 10, 2009, 04:59:39 PM »

Tourists, especially if they're a bit on the old side and/or irregularly shaped + a movie train = what use to be be comedy gold, but just gets on my nerves

Twice this week alone, saw two fat women who must be from Iowa, or around such parts, get on a train and completely crumble like a house of cards due to the unexpected movement of the train (lol I know). Each time some poor girl just trying to read a book got flattened by a pancake. Not sure why I didn't find the flailing of their arms humorous. The looks on the faces of the aforementioned girls was pretty classic though, that of total disgust.

And no, I didn't help them up because A) I was too far way and B) I get involved in other people's business way too much, or so I've been told.
dmauro

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 09:57:08 PM »

Fucking subway costs $4.50 to go anywhere now because I don't have a monthly. Actually I do have a monthly, but it doesn't work because of the fare increase. Anyone know how I deal with that? My first step would be to go talk to a booth attendant, but I don't know that that will work out very well.
dhex

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 01:07:19 AM »

the monthlies will stop working on sunday?
glomag

glomag00
View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 03:51:10 PM »

and as always, when the fare goes up. the service goes down. fuck the MTA.
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 03:58:31 PM »

Seriously.

Can't find the link anywhere, but there was some article in the Times I think, about how the MTA was either given some money by the state or tapped into funds that were specifically set aside to alleviate the current crisis, and it went to something completely different, i.e. another retarded project that's only meant to give it's primary powerholders extra cash in ten years time.

Also, had no idea about the monthlies becoming DOA. What the fuck.

And, sup Glomag.
Llydis

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 05:38:52 PM »

I have no idea how I adapted to the subway system down in LA, but somehow as a tourist I did.

Then again, I'm not sure of the differences between the Metro and NYC's subway system.
isfet

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 04:42:57 PM »

just wanted to pop in and say that i really can't fucking stand all the construction they do on the L train ALL THE FUCKING TIME.

i understand that the L train contains the stop where all the precious flowers of NYC come to live, but is this much maintenance needed?  it would just be nice to know that after 11 pm, i don't have to decide whether or not i want to walk out of my way to catch the JMZ or deal with the hell that is trying to get on an MTA shuttle bus.

that isn't even so bad, when the buses all arrive at the same time.  but 9/10 times, one bus appears randomly every 10-15 minutes.  just enough time for the crowd to become huge again and it becomes a giant shoving much to get crushed inside of a bus while standing.
dmauro

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 02:02:21 AM »

I don't know what was going on with my monthly before but now it works.

Even stranger: my card with money on it somehow has $0.65 left on it. How the hell did I lose $0.10/ gain $0.15?
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 02:20:39 AM »

I know the weather was fantastic today in the city, but the sight of I'd say 8 or 9 MTA employees, just lounging in the park and doing nothing but shoot the shit, really pissed me off. I guess at the very least, it's a change of pace of seeing them just sit around doing nothing in a station (other than hog bench seats, nevermind people who could actually use them, like the elderly).
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 09:11:25 PM »

This is fairly... interesting I suppose, in concept alone:

http://www.originalsoundversion.com/?p=3596
dmauro

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2009, 11:35:46 AM »

Total novelty album. I mean, it's sort of nice if you are into meditation, but everything has been pitch-shifted into oblivion so you don't hear the subway in the music.
dhex

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2009, 01:27:51 PM »

it's not novelty music per se, it's just not great ambient music. if i wanted something that kinda 90s esque feel, i'd go with rapoon or biosphere/higher intelligence agency splits. (especially birmingham frequencies)

the page for that review is pretty bad, but on the other hand they're not writing in particular for a ambient/electronic music audience. otherwise there'd be some more background on obvious "wow that's odd" sampling moments - matmos's early work and especially aube.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aube_%28musician%29
pilot

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2009, 09:49:19 AM »

Hey laaaaadiiiiieeeees:

If you can't walk down the stairs in your fucking heels throw them in a totebag and get some flats to trounce around in for a few unfashionable minutes. This goes double if you are on the larger side and can't hold yourself up when standing on a packed train.
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2009, 12:46:22 PM »

http://www.dearmta.info/
FortNinety
Administrator

FortNinety
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2009, 12:24:37 AM »

For whatever reason, virtually everyone person I talk to these days at a part of whatever social engagement, EVERYONE has a F train horror story. Including my own, from last weekend!

Last Saturday I was rushing to meet a friend (you guys know Mooney, right?) at a very specific time, to catch a bus to Philly. So for me, it was A train to D train to F train. I was making okay time, basically going about to hit my destination right in the nick of time, when all of a sudden, my F train upon pulling into the West 4th Street station, just three away from my destination, came to one of those complete stops... you know, where you hear the engine go totally dead. The LCD which had been saying "6th Ave Local" had turned off and then came back with "LAST STOP". An announcement was made, but because I had my iPod on, I missed it, but it didn't matter since no one could make heads or tails of what was said (you know, all those fucking speakers inside the trains are messed up).

Myself and a bunch of people began pouring out, totally confused. There were service notices were all over the station, but most were totally tattered (despite the fact that they were current), though none of them was applicable anyhow. I immediately began to panic cuz I had no idea how I was going to get where I was going, which was all the way on the east side, and was afraid that my entire weekend was ruined. A conductor was talking to a bunch of people, and as I approached, I heard her snidely state to a person "you want me to call the cops on you?" I then simply asked: "Excuse me, but I'm trying to get to the East Broadway stop."

Her response? "You shouldn't have gotten off this train." And as she said this, the doors closed. When I responded with "But the sign in the train.." She cut me off with "Pay better attention next time." At that point, the train began moving, her with it, and out of nowhere I simply screamed "YOU FUCKING BITCH!" Everyone thought I was nuts. But man, fucking MTA people get me more riled up than anyone else.

Oh, next train arrived 20 minutes later and I missed my bus. Got the next one, which led to a shitty ride which could have been avoided.

Also, I heard that some MTA employee won the lottery earlier this week? I also hear that only dumb-shits play the poor people's stock market...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: