Home Help Search Members Register
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: math is good for you  (Read 8885 times)
dhex

View Profile WWW Email
« on: August 04, 2009, 03:44:08 PM »

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09210/986936-298.stm

more math, more good. less math, more bad!

oh man when sallie mae goes kaputnik we are so terribly, terribly fucked.
dmauro

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 04:45:03 PM »

If that girl could channel just a fraction of the energy she puts towards making bad choices...
Llydis

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 05:51:24 PM »

I'm kind of worried, I might have to take out student loans in order to attend a 4 year university. Though, that'd be reduced to 2 years since I'm going to community college right now.
dhex

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 06:29:39 PM »

long story short, don't take out a lot of loans if you're not going into a specialty that is geared towards making lots of dosh OR is something you're committed to and won't mind living a spartan lifestyle for 4 to 8 years afterwards to pay down said loans. six figures for a simple BA or BS is insane and unless the words "ivy league" show up somewhere, completely not worth it. even then, it's only somewhat worth it.

avoid private lenders and get in on the fed gravy train for as long and as much as possible. or do what i did and attend the 4 year school that gives you the most money.
Llydis

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 07:06:00 PM »

I'm trying to find a good school in the CSU system that teaches art with a focus on Illustration and cartooning.
Swimmy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 11:32:52 PM »

Economists sometimes talk about "debt aversion," people's supposedly irrational fear of going into debt even if it has a positive expected value. Articles like this are the reason it exists. That shit's scary.

Theory: You know how less than 20% of the population has even basic reading comprehension skills? Maybe "debt aversion" is a rational response to people's knowledge of their own stupidity. Situations like this are the cognitive oddity, not the other way around.
ryan

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 02:28:08 AM »

I was silenced when my brother's ex talked about going into as much as $100,000 in debt so that he could go to a two-year culinary school in Denver, followed by four years in a course in how to be a dietitian.  What did he want to do? Prepare meals for professional sports teams. Good fucking luck with that. Why did he need so much? The school was only a portion of that, but he needed the rest to "live." Then my brother started talking some similar nonsense. My brother's new version of living was better than his old version, considering he would be giving himself money to live off of out of borrowed money to the amount that he has yet to earn annually.

I thought he came to his senses when they split and he seemed less incline to go into more debt, but now he's talking about how he simply needs to go back to school and do this and that.

It's impossible not to cringe whenever he talks about his future.
dhex

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 08:50:40 AM »

swimmy: that's an interesting theory. maybe? that might be giving more credit than is due, though.

ryan: yeesh. people have a weird idea of what "living within one's means" counts for; perhaps more accurately, the concept is opaque for far too many.

llydis: my only additional advice is watch what happens with the CSU system; a good friend teaches physics within that system and is unhappy about the budgetpocalypse and class schedule paring down that will follow. also, good internships are worth a full year of school and even more when it comes to landing the first few jobs. one of the things i can say as someone who hires quite a few design firms over the course of a year is that being able to deliver is sometimes more important than what's being delivered. (a good proposal is worth its weight in gold-leafed paper)
dhex

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2009, 01:01:33 PM »

and more to the point of the original article, if she'd asked herself "am i a stereotypically 'good student'?" she wouldn't be in this mess. presuming she was honest with herself, of course.
Llydis

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2009, 02:46:38 PM »

swimmy: that's an interesting theory. maybe? that might be giving more credit than is due, though.

ryan: yeesh. people have a weird idea of what "living within one's means" counts for; perhaps more accurately, the concept is opaque for far too many.

llydis: my only additional advice is watch what happens with the CSU system; a good friend teaches physics within that system and is unhappy about the budgetpocalypse and class schedule paring down that will follow. also, good internships are worth a full year of school and even more when it comes to landing the first few jobs. one of the things i can say as someone who hires quite a few design firms over the course of a year is that being able to deliver is sometimes more important than what's being delivered. (a good proposal is worth its weight in gold-leafed paper)

I'm still surprised we haven't recalled Governor Schwarzenegger yet. He's probably going to take a beating in the polls next time election comes around.

Yeah, I'm waiting til I'm out of this town in particular before I take any internships on. There isn't much to go on around here, small business owners around here tend to think they can do things themselves with design. Most results aren't pretty.
dhex

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2009, 08:53:48 PM »

remember the first law of the universe: fast, cheap, good - pick two.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: